My Dog Ate Lindt Chocolate What Should I Do?

By Kyoko •  Updated: 10/12/22 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

My Dog Ate Lindt Chocolate What Should I Do?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Lindt chocolates are popular during the holidays and other times of the year. And what’s not to like? These amazing candies have a luxurious taste of sugar and chocolate that seem to melt on your tongue! But what happens if a dog eats Lindt Chocolate?

Has your dog eaten Lindt Chocolate? Are you worried the Lindt Chocolate will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about Lindt Chocolate and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is Lindt Chocolate?

Lindt Chocolate is made by a Swiss chocolatier called Lindt & Sprungli AG, dba Lindt. The company was started in 1845 and has long been famous for its chocolate truffles and other yummy chocolate concoctions!

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Lindt makes a wide range of chocolate treats that include various ingredients, such as:

While Lindt Chocolate is safe for humans (in moderation), what about dogs? Can Lindt Chocolate make a dog sick?

Lindt Chocolate & Dogs

Unfortunately, Lindt Chocolate can make a dog sick. However, it depends on the type of chocolate used, how much chocolate the dog’s eaten, and its size and weight. This sound pretty complicated, but chocolate in most forms (except white) is toxic to dogs.

Chocolate contains two substances that are toxic to dogs: theobromine and caffeine. Dogs are not able to metabolize these substances.

Symptoms of Chocolate Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten Lindt Chocolate:

If you notice these symptoms in your dog, call the vet right away. This is an emergency. Try to figure out how much chocolate your dog has eaten and find the ingredient list for the Lindt Chocolate he ate. This information can be beneficial to the vet.

Treatment of Lindt Chocolate Ingestion in Dogs

The vet may try to decontaminate your dog’s system by inducing vomiting or using activated charcoal. These treatments keep the dog’s body from absorbing the toxic substances in chocolate.

The vet will also treat other symptoms as they arise. There’s a good chance your fur baby may also require an IV for fluids and to administer medications.

Your dog may need to be hospitalized until he’s in stable condition, but this depends on the severity of his symptoms.

The prognosis is best for dogs that receive prompt treatment after eating Lindt Chocolate. So, it’s best to keep Lindt Chocolate and other chocolate out of your dog’s reach. Prevention is always the best medicine.

(Visited 66 times, 1 visits today)

Kyoko

Kyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]