Dogs are amazing pets who can get into many types of things. There are many stories online about dogs who have gotten into the kitchen wastebasket for snacks, dogs who snack on litter box “treats,” and dogs who somehow get a hold of medication they shouldn’t have! Accidents happen, and dogs are very fast when it comes to going after something. But what happens if a dog eats ketoconazole?
Has your dog eaten ketoconazole cream? Are you worried the ketoconazole cream will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place! We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ll take a look at ketoconazole and whether or not it can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Ketoconazole?
Ketoconazole is an antifungal medication that’s used to treat fungal infections in both humans and dogs. It’s sometimes used to treat fungal infections, as well as yeast or ringworm infections. The medication can be in pill or cream form.
While ketoconazole cream is safe when used correctly, what happens if a dog eats this medication?
Ketoconazole Cream & Dogs
Ketoconazole cream can be toxic if a dog eats a large amount of the medication. Another problem is the dog could eat the tube the medication comes in. If this should happen, it’s possible the tube could choke the dog or cause a digestive tract problem called an intestinal blockage.
Symptoms of Ketoconazole Cream Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten ketoconazole cream:
- The whites of your dog’s eyes may appear yellow
- Extreme drowsiness (usually means the dog has eaten too much of the medication)
- Skin irritation and excessive scratching
- Allergic reaction
- Liver damage
If you notice these symptoms in your, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Before calling the vet, try to see how much of the cream your fur baby has eaten. Also, determine whether or not he’s eaten any of the cream’s tube. This information will be very helpful for the vet.
Treatment of Ketoconazole Cream Ingestion in Dogs
At the vet’s, they will perform a physical exam of your dog. This may include lab work and other tests. If your dog has eaten some of the medication’s tube, then the vet may also take x-rays. The images will help the vet see if the tube is in your dog’s digestive tract and whether or not it’s causing a blockage.
The vet may hospitalize your dog if he’s vomiting and has nausea. In addition, the vet will give your dog an IV with fluids to help keep your fur baby hydrated. The vet will also treat any other symptoms as they appear.
In addition, if your dog has eaten the tube, then he may require emergency surgery. The surgery is done to remove the tube from your canine companion’s digestive tract and repair any damage it may have caused.
The prognosis is highest for those dogs who receive prompt medical treatment after eating ketoconazole cream. So, be sure to call the vet right away if your fur baby has eaten this cream. Your dog’s life may depend on it!