Many of us have gotten used to wearing a face mask during the pandemic. We don’t even think about it too much. It’s easy to put one on when going out; however, when you get home, it’s easy to whisk the mask off without giving it too much thought. The mask may be left on a table, chair, or countertop.
There’s one thing you need to be careful about and that’s not leaving the mask where you dog could get it. Unfortunately, along with the Covid-19 pandemic, we’ve run into a new problem—dog’s eating our face masks. Who would have thought?
It’s really not unusual for dogs to eat things they shouldn’t. After all, they do this on a regular basis. In most cases, they’re OK but there are times when the things they’ve eaten can make them sick. This is the case when a dog eats a face mask.
The other issue is that dogs will play with just about anything! Face masks are still relatively new for dogs. They may be wondering what all the fuss is about, so they check out a mask that’s just lying invitingly somewhere like the floor, the trash, and more. What’s not to like about playing with a face mask? They fly around when you toss them, which makes them fun to chase, too! The problem is if a dog accidentally swallows the mask.
Face Masks Can Cause Intestinal Blockage in Dogs
The problem is that a face mask can lead to very serious medical problems for your dog. Now, if he happens to swallow the mask and then vomits it out soon after, he’ll be OK. The issue is if the mask goes through to the intestines.
When the mask reaches the intestines, it can become stuck there and cause a medical problem called an intestinal blockage. This is condition is a medical emergency; if not promptly treated it can lead to death.
If you suspect or know that your dog has swallowed a face mask, then be sure to call the vet as soon as possible.
Symptoms of an Intestinal Block in Dogs
Here are the symptoms you may notice if your dog develops an intestinal blockage:
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain/swelling
If you notice any of these symptoms, be sure to call the vet right away. This is a medical emergency.
The prognosis is good for dogs that receive prompt medical treatment. So, if your dog has swallowed a face mask, be sure to call the vet as soon as possible. They’ll have the best advice on next steps. And remember to keep all face masks out of your dog’s reach.
KimKim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.
Review symptoms, medications & behavior to keep your pets healthy with a Vet Online in just minutes.Ask a Vet Live Now