My Dog Ate Keto Chocolate Will He Get Sick?
Has your dog eaten some Keto chocolate? Are you worried the Keto chocolate will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ve put together some information about Keto chocolate and whether or not it can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is the Keto Diet?
In brief, the Keto diet is one that helps burn fat by eating a low carb, high-fat diet. As with any diet, there are certain things you must avoid eating. One of these is sugar. For this reason, the Keto diet includes plenty of artificial sweeteners in its foods.Check Price on Amazon
What is Keto Chocolate?
Keto chocolate is dark chocolate that has been specially formulated for people on the Keto diet. Keto chocolate is low in carbs when made with an artificial sweetener. One of the most common artificial sweeteners used on the Keto diet is xylitol.
So, Keto chocolate packs a double whammy for dogs. For one thing, chocolate is extremely toxic for dogs. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is for our canine companions. What’s more, xylitol is also highly toxic for dogs. It’s for these reasons that Keto chocolate is doubly bad for dogs.
The danger of Keto chocolate for dogs is determined by the size/weight of the dog and the amount of chocolate. For instance, it only takes a very small amount of Keto chocolate to make a small dog very sick. On the other hand, a larger dog eating a small amount of Keto chocolate won’t get as sick. However, either way, the combination of dark chocolate and xylitol can be lethal for dogs.
Symptoms of Keto Chocolate Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten Keto chocolate:
- Increased urination
- High blood pressure
- High heart rate
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Before calling the vet, try to determine how much of the chocolate your dog has eaten. If possible, look to see if the chocolate was sweetened with xylitol or not. This information will help the vet.Check Price on Amazon
What’s more, if you know for certain your dog has eaten Keto chocolate, then do not wait for symptoms to appear. This may take as long as 12 hours after your dog has eaten the chocolate. Call the vet immediately before symptoms begin.
The survival rate for dogs that eat chocolate and xylitol is improved if the dog receives immediate medical care. In that case, most dogs will make a full recovery.