My Dog Ate Ground Coffee Will He Get Sick?
There’s nothing that smells better than fresh coffee. In the morning, you may enjoy some wonderful specialty coffee and then throw the grounds away in the trash. But what happens if your dog eats the coffee grounds? Can coffee grounds make your dog sick?
In this article, we’ll take a look at whether or not coffee grounds can make your dog sick and what to do if your dog has eaten coffee grounds. Let’s get started!
Coffee Grounds & Caffeine Poisoning in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
Coffee grounds contain a lot of caffeine; so, if your dog eats the grounds, it’s possible he could develop caffeine poisoning.
Caffeine is commonly found in coffee grounds, tea bags, soda, and even in medications. It contains a chemical called theobromine, the same chemical also found in chocolate. Theobromine acts as a stimulant to the central nervous system. It can also cause damage to organs such as the liver, heart, lungs, kidneys, and more.
The degree of caffeine toxicity is determined by the amount of coffee grounds your fur baby has eaten, as well as your dog’s size. Caffeine poisoning can happen if your dog eats 14 mg of coffee per pound of body weight.
Symptoms of Caffeine Poisoning in Dogs
If your dog has ingested coffee ground, you may notice these symptoms:
- Rapid heartbeat
If you know or suspect your dog has eaten coffee grounds and is showing these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This could be a life-threatening medical emergency.
Treatment of Coffee Ground Toxicity in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
When you reach the vet’s, they will perform a complete physical of your dog. This may include lab work, urinalysis, testing the contents of your dog’s stomach, and more.
Treatment will involve the dog being given an IV, which may contain fluids and other medications to treat symptoms. The vet may also do gastric lavage, induce vomiting, and/or use activated charcoal to rid your dog’s system of the caffeine. The vet will also treat other symptoms as they arise.
The prognosis depends on the amount of coffee grounds the dog has eaten, as well as how soon he received treatment. If untreated, caffeine poisoning can lead to organ damage and death. However, if treated quickly, your dog faces an excellent chance of making a full recovery.
To avoid this problem in the future, it may be necessary to invest in a dog-proof wastebasket. Then your fur baby won’t be able to go shopping for snacks!