My Dog Ate Grapes What Should I Do?
Who can resist a bowl of chilled grapes sitting on the counter? Grapes are a summer treat that many people enjoy! But what happens if your dog eats grapes?
Has your dog eaten grapes? Are you worried the grapes will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about grapes and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Grapes?
Grapes are a fruit that’s found in many countries around the world, including the US. They can be eaten raw, added to a variety of dishes and cuisines, and even made into juice and wine. Many types of grapes are sweet, though some are sourer.
These lovely fruits grow on vining plants that thrive in areas that have the right climate, soil, water, and sunlight to make them luscious and yummy!
Grapes have been cultivated since the seventh millennia BC in a region located between the Black Sea and Iran. The fruit eventually made its way to Egypt, where it was highly prized and then moved to other areas around the Middle East and the Mediterranean.
While grapes are safe for humans to eat, what about dogs? Can grapes make a dog sick?
Grapes & Dogs
Unfortunately, grapes are toxic to dogs, and no one has been able to determine precisely what in the grapes is toxic for dogs. However, all grape varieties contain tannins, flavonoids, and monosaccharides. Dogs are not able to metabolize these substances.
Grapes can cause kidney damage in dogs, including kidney failure, which can lead to death.
Symptoms of Grape Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten grapes:
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive thirst and drinking a lot of water (more than usual)
- Abdominal pain
- Bad breath
- Increased urination
Symptoms may start between 12 to 24 hours after ingestion. So, if you know for sure that your dog has eaten grapes or suspect he has done so, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Treatment of Grape Toxicity in Dogs
The vet will work to remove the toxins from your dog’s body by inducing vomiting or using activated charcoal. In most cases, your canine companion will require an IV for fluids and to administer medications.
The vet will also work to prevent kidney issues or work to restore kidney function.
The best way to keep your dog safe is to keep grapes out of his reach. And don’t feed your dog grapes or allow him to drink grape juice. The best medicine is always prevention!