My Dog Ate Firestarter What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 01/10/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Do you have a fireplace or woodstove in your home? There’s nothing better than a nice, bright fire burning happily in the fireplace or woodstove on a cold day! Who doesn’t enjoy a fire in the fireplace?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Many people who have a fireplace or woodstove use Firestarter to help get the fire going faster. But what happens if your dog eats Firestarter?

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

What is Firestarter?

Firestarter is manufactured logs for the fire, which are made in many different sizes and shapes. They’re used to get the fire started faster and easier and can also last longer than real wood logs.

These types of logs are either made of compressed sawdust, or sawdust and paraffin, which is made into a log shape. The logs are usually individually wrapped, or sometimes come in a larger package or box.

Firestarter logs can include different types of substances including paraffin wax, palm oil, cardboard, sawdust, and more. They can even include waste materials such as nut shells, fruit pits, and more.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

What happens if your dog eats Firestarter?

Firestarter is Toxic to Dogs

These manufactured logs are poisonous to dogs. Not only that, but the sawdust and other materials can also create an intestinal blockage in the dog’s system. The logs are not meant to be eaten or chewed.

If your dog has eaten only a very tiny piece of the Firestarter log, then he should be OK. He may experience some nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

However, if your dog has eaten a larger portion of the log, then this is a serious problem.

Symptoms of Firestarter Poisoning in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten Firestarter logs:

The severity of the symptoms will depend on the size of your dog and how much of the Firestarter he’s eaten.

If you know for sure or suspect that your dog has eaten Firestarter, then call the vet immediately. This could be a medical emergency.

Treatment of Firestarter Poisoning in Dogs

If possible, take a portion of the log with you to the vet. This way, they can see what type of Firestarter your dog has ingested, as well as how much of the log was eaten.

The vet will perform a physical exam of your dog, and run lab work to determine how much of the poison is in your dog’s system. The vet will probably also do an x-ray to see if there is any blockage.

Treatment will depend on your dog’s symptoms and how long ago the dog ate the Firestarter. If it was recently, then the vet may induce vomiting. Or they may have to use other treatments. The vet will also treat any other symptoms that may arise.

In most cases, your dog has a very good chance of a full recovery. His chances will go up the sooner he’s treated, so be sure to call the vet right away if your dog eats Firestarter.

(Visited 2,856 times, 10 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]