My Dog Ate Flour Will He Get Sick?
What happens if you spill flour on the flour and your dogs jumps over to snarf it up? It happens! Dog are curious and don’t want to miss out on a free meal, no matter what it may be, even flour!
Can Dogs Eat Flour?
The good news is that flour is not toxic to dogs. And if your dog eats only a little bit, he should be OK. Having said that, the size of your dog and the amount of flour eaten determine if the dog will have any trouble or not.
For instance, if you have a large dog, and he cleans up a small amount of flour, he will be OK. On the other hand, if a very small dog had a rather large helping of flour, then he could suffer some ill effects.
One more issue could be if the dog is allergic to flour or has gluten intolerance. In that case, there’s a chance the dog could have a reaction to even a small amount of flour.
However, if your dog seems OK after eating flour, then you don’t need to worry.Check Price on Amazon
Eating a Lot of Flour
As mentioned earlier, if a dog eats a large amount of flour, for their size, then they could have some problems. One of these is that dry flour swallowed at one time could cause constipation. This could be temporary; however, if your dog seems to be uncomfortable, in pain, and they haven’t gone in a day or so, then it’s time to call the vet.
Flour Allergy in Dogs
If your dog is extremely allergic to flour, then you’ll need to monitor him for any signs of an allergic reaction. It’s possible your dog could even suffer an anaphylactic reaction if he has as severe allergy to flour.
Symptoms of an allergic reaction in dogs include:
- Itchy, irritated, red skin
- Breathing difficulties
- Runny discharge from nose/eyes
If this is the first time your dog has experienced an allergic reaction, then it’s best to get him to the vet immediately. This is especially the case if he’s having trouble breathing.
If this is not the first time your dog has had an allergic reaction, and you know what to do, then follow the directions that your vet has provided. If these do not work, then call the vet immediately.
For most dogs, eating a little flour won’t cause any health issues. However, if you’re worried about it or concerned with any symptoms your dog may be having, then go ahead and call the vet. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.