My Dog Ate Dissolvable Packing Peanuts What Should I Do?
Do you like to shop online? It’s a convenience that many of us enjoy! Some packages contain those small, plastic air bags wrapped around objects we’ve ordered. They work to protect whatever we buy. However, products are sometimes in boxes filled with dissolvable packing peanuts! They work great to keep our items safe. But what happens if a dog eats dissolvable packing peanuts?
Has your dog eaten dissolvable packing peanuts? Are you worried the dissolvable packing peanuts will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about dissolvable packing peanuts and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Dissolvable Packing Peanuts?
Dissolvable packing peanuts may look like the traditional packing peanuts made from Styrofoam; however, they’re much different. Dissolvable packing peanuts were created as a way to make packing peanuts more eco-friendly.
Dissolvable packing peanuts are made from naturally derived starches, such as wheat and cornstarch. They’re made entirely from plants and are biodegradable; the peanuts dissolve in water. Dissolvable packing peanuts then can’t be a mess that blows in the air, across the water, or on land.
But what happens if a dog eats dissolvable packing peanuts?
Dissolvable Packing Peanuts & Dogs
The good news is that dissolvable packing peanuts are safe for dogs. While these are not meant to be eaten, dissolvable packing peanuts are not toxic. However, they can make a dog sick.
In rare instances, it’s possible the dissolvable packing peanuts could cause an intestinal blockage in a dog.
Symptoms of Dissolvable Packing Peanut Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten dissolvable packing peanuts:
- Lack of appetite
- Abdominal pain & swelling
These could indicate your dog has an intestinal blockage. In that case, it’s best to err on the side of caution and call the vet right away. This may be an emergency.
Be sure to let the vet know your fur baby has eaten dissolvable packing peanuts and about what time this happened. The vet may also ask how many of the peanuts your dog has eaten. This may be difficult to determine if your canine companion stuck his head in the box and chowed down on the packing peanuts.
In some cases, the vet may need to perform emergency surgery to safely remove the blockage from the dog’s system.
The good news is that in most cases, a dog that receives prompt medical care will make a full recovery. And remember, if your dog has eaten one or two dissolvable packing peanuts, chances are he will be OK. He may have an upset stomach, diarrhea, and vomiting. If these last longer than 24 hours, then be sure to call the vet.