My Dog Ate Decon What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Kim •  Updated: 12/17/22 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

My Dog Ate Decon What Should I Do?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Do you have rats around your home or neighborhood? They can be a common problem in some areas, making it necessary to put out rat poisons, such as Decon. Rat poison can be effective in getting rid of rats. But what happens if your dog finds Decon and eats some of it?

Has your dog eaten Decon? Are you worried that Decon will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about Decon and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is Decon?

Decon, also known as d-Con, is a rodent control product manufactured in the US by the Reckitt Company. The company produces a variety of traps and bait to be used around the house to trap and kill rodents, such as mice and rats.

The active substance in d-Con is an anticoagulant that may surprise you; the active ingredient in d-Con is Vitamin D (cholecalciferol).

While d-Con is safe when used as directed, what happens if a dog eats this rat poison?

Decon & Dogs

Unfortunately, d-Con is highly toxic to dogs. The active ingredient, Vitamin D, causes the dog’s body to absorb large amounts of calcium from his digestive tract. This decreases the renal excretion of calcium, leading to hypercalcemia (too much calcium) and hyperphosphatemia (too much phosphate) in the dog’s body. These conditions cause blood vessel constriction throughout the dog’s body. In other words, the dog’s body doesn’t receive the blood it needs.

When blood flow is decreased, organs such as the kidney will not function correctly, causing a dangerous build-up of toxins in the body.

Symptoms of Decon Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog eats d-Con:

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Decon Ingestion in Dogs

The vet will work to decontaminate your dog’s system by inducing vomiting, using activated charcoal, or other methods. Your fur baby may also require an IV for fluids and to administer medications. The vet will also treat other symptoms as they arise. For instance, they may use steroids, bisphosphonates to decrease calcium levels in the blood, and more.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment after eating d-Con. However, a dog’s survival depends on how much poison he’s eaten, his age and overall health, as well as prompt medical treatment.

It’s always best to keep rat poisons and other household chemicals out of your dog’s reach. Prevention is always the best medicine.

(Visited 780 times, 5 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading