My Dog Ate Ketchup Will He Get Sick?

Reviewed By Julie •  Updated: 06/24/22 •  10 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dog Ate Ketchup

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog eaten some ketchup? Are you worried the ketchup will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.

In this article, we’ll take a look at ketchup and whether or not it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is Ketchup?

Ketchup is a condiment or sauce, which is made from tomatoes and other ingredients. It’s used on a wide variety of foods to add flavor. This sauce has a tangy, sweet flavor, which is one of the reasons, so many kids love this condiment!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

Ketchup is used on so many things, including French fries, hamburgers, hot dogs, and so much more. It’s also used as an ingredient in recipes for meatloaf and other dishes. This is how yummy and popular ketchup has become. You’re sure to find this condiment in most homes these days!

Generally, ketchup ingredients include:

While humans love ketchup, is it safe for dogs?

Ketchup & Dogs

Can dogs eat ketchup? Is ketchup bad for dogs?

Ketchup is really not very good for dogs. This is because it contains some ingredients that are toxic to dogs, including ripe tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder, and more. In addition, commercially prepared ketchup usually also includes preservatives, which can also be harmful to dogs.

This condiment also contains cinnamon, salt, and sugar, which can make dogs sick.

As mentioned, ketchup contains some ingredients that are toxic to dogs. This includes: tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder, and more. Some of these ingredients may be harmful to your dog’s health or even fatal if they are consumed in large quantities.

Commercial ketchup often contains preservatives that can be harmful to your dog’s health or even fatal if they are consumed in large amounts. Many people think that commercial ketchup is just as good as homemade ketchup and just as safe for their pets, but this is not true. It’s best to stick with making your own ketchup at home instead of buying commercial ketchup from the store (or from a friend or family member). Homemade ketchup is much safer for your dog than commercial ketchup (and it tastes better too!).

A small amount of ketchup is okay for your dog, but it’s best to keep your dog away from any ketchup that you don’t use yourself. This is because the commercial ketchup may contain harmful ingredients that can cause health problems for your dog. Your dog’s diet should be made up of mostly raw meat and vegetables.

The Side Effects of Ketchup

Xylitol, which is an artificial sweetener, is present in some brands of ketchup. In the case of dogs, xylitol can cause a potentially fatal condition called xylitol toxicity. This is when too much xylitol enters the dog’s body and results in severe liver damage. Xylitol poisoning has also been linked to kidney failure and failure of the dog’s red blood cells. The symptoms include: vomiting, diarrhea, jaundice, lethargy, weakness, loss of appetite, excessive thirst and urination, increased breathing rate, and increased heart rate.

The sugar substitute sorbitol is also present in some brands of ketchup. Sorbitol can cause a serious condition called sorbitol toxicity. Symptoms include: diarrhea, vomiting, seizures, collapse, coma, liver failure and death.

Tomatine, which is a natural toxin found in tomatoes, is also present in some brands of ketchup. Tomatine can cause a potentially fatal condition called tomato toxicity. Symptoms include: vomiting, diarrhea, muscle tremors, seizures, collapse and death.

Processed food such as ketchup often contains additives that can be harmful to dogs. For example, if your dog eats too much ketchup, it may lead to excessive thirst and urination. This may be followed by vomiting and diarrhea. If this occurs, you should seek veterinary help immediately.

A dog’s ability to metabolize certain chemicals is also reduced by their age. This includes the ability to metabolize xylitol and sorbitol in ketchup. If your dog consumes a large amount of ketchup with xylitol or sorbitol in it, it could be fatal. In fact, young dogs may be more susceptible to the effects of these sweeteners than older dogs are.

Do not feed your dog any type of tomato-based product that contains any of the following ingredients: vinegar, salt, sugar, garlic powder or onion powder. If you are not sure what you are feeding your dog read the ingredient label carefully before feeding it to your dog.

Salt Poisoning in Dogs

Tomatoes, garlic, and onion can cause your dog to become severely dehydrated. If your dog has consumed ketchup and you notice he is acting very sick, you should immediately seek veterinary attention. If the dog becomes dehydrated and cannot urinate, he may have salt poisoning. Salt poisoning can be deadly if not treated immediately.

An upset stomach or vomiting can also be signs of ketchup poisoning. The seasonings in ketchup can irritate your dog’s stomach, which can lead to vomiting. Tomato ketchup contains a higher amount of sugar than other types of ketchup. If your dog has eaten too much sugar, it can cause stomach upset.

What Happens if Your Dog Eats Ketchup?

If your fur baby happens to have a lick or two of ketchup, chances are he will be OK. The number of harmful ingredients will be too small to cause any harm.

Dogs that eat commercial ketchup on a regular basis could also be in danger of becoming overweight or obese. Obesity can lead to very serious medical problems such as cancer, heart problems, diabetes, and more. The nutritional value of ketchup is very low, so your dog would not get any benefit from eating it.

However, if your pooch has a larger amount of ketchup, then he could become sick. Dog owners will need to watch for these and other symptoms if your dog has a a large amount of ketchup:

If your dog shows any of these symptoms, then it’s time to call the vet. This could be a medical emergency.

How to Keep Your Dog Safe

You should avoid giving your dog ketchup or any other food that contains tomato sauce or spices. You should also keep it away from your dog. This includes: trash cans, counters, etc. If you have to use ketchup, be sure to give it only sparingly and in small amounts. This is because some dogs can have adverse reactions to certain ingredients in ketchup such as onion powder or garlic powder. If you’re going to give your dog a few licks of ketchup, be sure to monitor him carefully after he eats it and make sure he doesn’t become sick. This can happen if you’re not careful about how much he eats or if he ingests more than a few licks of the sauce. The effects could be temporary and harmless or permanent and fatal depending on the amount that was ingested by your dog.

Avoid giving human food to your dog as well. If you have to give your dog human food, make sure it is a good quality food that is free of all the harmful ingredients that could be toxic to your dog. A bottle of ketchup will probably be fine for your dog if you use it sparingly and in small amounts.

Hemolytic anemia is a very serious condition that can occur if your dog ingests too much of the ingredients in ketchup. This is especially true if your dog ingests a large amount of tomato sauce. This condition is not fatal, but it can be quite painful and difficult to treat. Heart disease and liver disease are also very common in dogs that have ingested large amounts of ketchup.

There are many sugar-free dog food brands that are safe for your dog to eat. So be sure to use one of these brands instead of ketchup.

As you can see, it’s never a good idea to let your dog have ketchup. Accidents do happen, though, and it’s easy for a dog to gain access to something he really wants! However, it’s best to keep ketchup packets and other condiments out of your dog’s reach. Something as simple as ketchup can make a dog very sick. So, keep your dog away from ketchup, and you’ll both be happy!

(Visited 429 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.


Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading