My Dog Ate Chocolate Cake What Should I Do?
Chocolate cake is a favorite for many pet parents. It can be used as a snack, a birthday cake, an anniversary cake, and more! However, what happens if a dog eats chocolate cake? Can the chocolate cake make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten chocolate cake? Are you worried the chocolate cake will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about chocolate cake and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Chocolate Cake?
Chocolate cake is a scrumptious dessert that is made with melted baker’s chocolate, cocoa powder, or another form of chocolate. These cakes are just short of heaven. They’re wonderful confections that are the perfect dessert or snack for chocoholics!
Chocolate cake may also include other ingredients, such as vanilla flavoring, eggs, fat, and sugar. Just talking about chocolate cake makes you hungry for some!
While humans can safely enjoy chocolate cake in moderation, what about dogs? Can chocolate cake make a dog sick?
Chocolate Cake & Dogs
Unfortunately, chocolate cake is toxic to dogs. That’s because chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which are toxic to dogs.
Dogs are not able to metabolize these chemicals. The result is that theobromine and caffeine stay longer in a dog’s system than in a human’s. The chemicals can cause digestive and neurological issues in dogs and can even lead to death in some cases.
In addition, chocolate cake includes large amounts of sugar and fat. Both of these can cause pancreatitis in dogs, a serious condition that can also cause death.
Wow, who would have thought that chocolate cake was so bad for dogs?
Symptoms of Chocolate Cake Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten chocolate cake:
- Increased heart rate
- Increased urination
- Increased thirst
- Cardiac arrest
- And more
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Don’t wait to see if your fur baby’s symptoms improve or worsen. He needs to see the vet now.
Treatment of Chocolate Cake Poisoning in Dogs
Treatment depends on how much cake your dog has eaten, his weight, the type of chocolate in the cake, and the severity of your dog’s symptoms.
If your dog is not showing severe symptoms, the vet may want you to bring him in to be monitored. The vet will check your dog’s vitals and may run blood tests to check for chocolate toxicity.
However, if your dog has severe symptoms and has recently eaten chocolate cake, the vet may induce vomiting and administer activated charcoal. These work to remove toxins from the dog’s body.
It’s also possible your dog may require an IV for fluids and to administer medications. The vet will treat any other symptoms as they arise.
The good news is that in most cases, dogs who receive prompt medical treatment have the best chance of making a full recovery.
And remember that prevention is always the best medicine!