My Dog Ate Chips Ahoy Cookie What Should I Do? (Reviewed by Vet)

Reviewed By Aisling O'Keeffe, MVB CertSAM ISFMCertAdvFB •  Updated: 02/23/23 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

dog ate Chips Ahoy Cookie

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Many pet parents love Chips Ahoy Cookies! These are yummy and contain just the right number of chocolate chips! If you’re eating these and your dog sees you, watch out! He will come over begging for his share! But are Chips Ahoy Cookies safe for dogs?

Has your dog eaten Chips Ahoy Cookies? Are you worried the Chips Ahoy Cookies will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve put together information about Chips Ahoy Cookies and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What are Chips Ahoy Cookies?

Chips Ahoy Cookies are a brand of chocolate chip cookies made by Nabisco. The cookies come in different versions and are pretty yummy! It’s no wonder humans and dogs love these cookies!

Regular Chips Ahoy Cookies contain the following ingredients:

While Chips Ahoy Cookies are safe for humans (in moderation), what about dogs? Can Chips Ahoy make a dog sick?

Chips Ahoy Cookies & Dogs

Unfortunately, Chips Ahoy Cookies are toxic for dogs. The main issue is that these yummy cookies contain semi-sweet chocolate. All forms of chocolate are toxic to dogs. That’s because chocolate contains two substances that are poisonous to our canine companions. These substances are theobromine and caffeine.

Dogs are not able to quickly metabolize theobromine and caffeine (like their pet parents). So, these substances stay longer in the dog’s system, where they can cause organ damage.

In addition, these cookies also contain a high amount of sugar, fats, and salt, which can also make a dog sick. What’s more, some dogs may be allergic to one of the many ingredients in these cookies and may develop a tummy upset or skin reaction.

Symptoms of Chips Ahoy Cookies Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten Chips Ahoy Cookies:

If your dog has ingested cookies, especially ones with chocolate, call the vet immediately. This could be an emergency.

Treatment depends on what your dog ate, when they ate it and how much they ate. . For chocolate toxicity, the vet will work out how much chocolate your dog has eaten and if it’s a poisonous amount. They will work to decontaminate your dog’s system, this may involve making them get sick if they recently ate the cookies and the use of activated charcoal to bind toxins in the gut. They will treat other symptoms as they arise. They may decide to run a blood test to check for pancreatitis which can occur after foods that are high in fat and sugar.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment. So, if your dog loves these cookies, be sure to keep them out of his reach. Prevention is always the best medicine!

CheckedbyVets stamp

(Visited 1,970 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Aisling O'Keeffe, MVB CertSAM ISFMCertAdvFB

This article has been reviewed and approved by an independent Veterinarian: Aisling qualified as a vet 7 years ago from University College Dublin. She has worked in a mixture of UK small animal hospitals along with Irish practices. She worked for 3 years in a feline-only hospital where she further developed her feline medicine and surgery skills. She currently lives and works in a small animal hospital in Cork, Ireland.

Keep Reading