My Dog Ate Boiled Peanut Shells What Should I Do?
Most everyone enjoys peanuts (unless they’re allergic to them!)! Peanuts are common at sporting events, home parties, and loved as snacks! Boiled peanuts are another treat that many people love! But what happens if a dog eats boiled peanut shells?
Has your dog eaten boiled peanut shells? Are you worried the boiled peanut shells will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about boiled peanut shells and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Boiled Peanut Shells?
Boiled peanut shells come from peanuts that have been boiled in salty water for a few hours. Many people in the southern part of the US enjoy this peanut treat! This popular snack is often combined with beer or cold soda. Just like popcorn, boiled peanuts can be quite addictive! You can’t eat just one!
A traditional recipe for boiled peanuts includes water and salt; however, some people may add other flavors and spices to their boiled peanuts.
While boiled peanuts are safe, what about boiled peanut shells? What happens if a dog eats boiled peanut shells?
Boiled Peanut Shells & Dogs
First, peanut shells are not toxic to dogs. That’s good news! But wait, there are some possible dangers to dogs eating boiled peanut shells.
For one thing, some dogs are allergic to peanuts. So, a dog with this allergy may have an allergic reaction to boiled peanut shells.
Next, if a dog eats a lot of boiled peanut shells, it’s possible the shells could stay together in the digestive tract. This could cause an intestinal obstruction.
What to Do If Your Dog Eats Boiled Peanuts
So, if your dog’s not allergic to peanuts and has only eaten a few pieces of boiled peanut shell, he should be OK.
On the other hand, if your dog is allergic to peanuts, you may want to call the vet right away. It’s possible for a dog to have an anaphylactic reaction that can cause death.
If your dog happens to eat a lot of peanut shells, this could be a problem. Again, we recommend calling the vet for their recommendations.
Your vet will be the best source of advice in these instances. Remember that a couple of boiled peanut shells will probably not cause a problem. But a larger number could lead to an intestinal obstruction. An intestinal obstruction can cause death if not treated.