My Dog Ate Zip Ties What Should I Do?
In researching this article, it was surprising how many stories came up of dogs eating zip ties! Who would have thought so many dogs have done this? However, dogs are known for being non-discretionary eaters. In other words, dogs are famous for eating just about anything, even zip ties!
Has your dog eaten zip ties? Are you worried the zip ties will make him sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it’s scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.
In this article, we’ll take a look at zip ties and whether or not they can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Zip Ties?
Zip ties (also known as hose ties and cable ties) are a type of fastener made from nylon. The fasteners can be used in so many ways. They are versatile and can do much more than just tie up hoses and cables. The ties are extremely strong and have one end that’s the “tape” section. The tape section has “teeth” that can fasten to the head of the tie (called a pawl). Once secured, the ties will not let go. However, some zip ties do include a tab that can be pressed in order to loosen the tie.
These fasteners can be used for everything! We read of pet parents using zip ties to keep zippers on their cat’s pet carrier closed. Some cats are able to work the zippers lose and escape. Putting a zip tie in the zipper keeps this from happening. Zip ties are also used in other creative ways to fasten a multitude of items.
But what happens if a dog eats zip ties? Can zip ties make a dog sick?
Zip Ties & Dogs
As you may have guessed, zip ties are not a safe item when swallowed. The problem is that zip ties can be sharp, especially if they’ve been chewed apart. So, if a dog eats a zip tie with sharp ends, the ties could cause punctures in the dog’s esophagus, stomach, or even in his intestines. What’s more, zip ties can also become lodged in the throat and cause a dog to choke.
The final problem is that zip ties may also become lodged in the digestive tract, where they create an intestinal obstruction. This is a dangerous condition; if left untreated, it can lead to death.
What to Do If Your Dog Swallows Zip Ties
The first thing you should do is figure out how many zip ties your dog may have eaten. Remove your dog from the zip tie mess, and then clean the mess up to avoid your dog or other pets (or young kids) from eating the zip ties.
Next, call the vet. The vet will give you the right advice on how to manage this issue with your dog. Do exactly what your vet says to do.
Symptoms of Zip Tie Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten zip ties:
- Gagging/choking (zip tie may be caught in the throat)
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain & bloating
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
In some cases, your dog may require emergency surgery to remove a blockage caused by the ties. The good news is that in most cases, the dog will make a complete recovery. However, it’s essential to get your dog to the vet ASAP. That way, he’ll have the highest chance of making a complete recovery!