My Dog Ate an Edible What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Kim •  Updated: 04/09/20 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Marijuana edibles are becoming more common and legal in many places. This increased availability is enjoyed by pet parents, and sometimes by their dogs. Most of the time it’s by accident that a fur baby will find his pet parents’ stash and snarf it down.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

However, if your dog accidentally eats marijuana, he could suffer some major health issues. Some dogs may develop serious medical problems if they eat too much weed.

Signs & Symptoms Dog Has Ingested Marijuana

If your fur baby has eaten a “funny brownie” or other edible, then be sure to watch for these signs and symptoms:

Other symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, or you may notice your fur baby has all of a sudden become a bit of a clown! However, if your fur baby is having serious issues standing, seems wobbly and is just standing kind of standing there, you know there’s a problem.

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

Marijuana is known to be toxic for dogs, but if the dog ate an edible, it could also include other ingredients that are poisonous to dogs. These ingredients may include chocolate, Xylitol (sugar substitute), etc. These substances can cause death in dogs.

What to Do if Your Dog Ate an Edible

First, don’t panic. You’ll need to stay calm in order to take care of your precious pup. If he’s eaten the edible within the last 15 minutes, then it’s OK to induce vomiting. This will help get the marijuana out of your fur baby’s system quickly.

You can use one teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of dog. This should get your dog to vomit within about 15 minutes after taking the dose.

Get Help Immediately

If your dog hasn’t been able to vomit, then call the vet immediately. Quick treatment may save your dog’s life.

If it’s been some time since your fur baby ate the edible, they may decide to treat your dog with IV fluids and activated charcoal. The charcoal binds to the toxins in a dog’s digestive tract, which keeps them from becoming absorbed.

Depending on the situation, your dog may need additional treatment and may even require hospitalization until he’s past the emergency.

Prevention is the best medicine. To keep your dog from eating edibles, make sure the marijuana treats are put up out of his reach and that he doesn’t have access to cabinets, containers, etc. Also be sure to pick up any leftover joints or edibles on the table or that fall on the floor. Keeping edibles out of reach will keep your dog safe.

(Visited 966 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading