My Dog Ate Zonisamide What Should I Do?
Does your dog suffer from epilepsy? Then it’s possible the vet may have prescribed a medication called Zonisamide. This is a prescription drug that’s often used to treat epilepsy in dogs.
As with any drug, it’s possible your fur baby could access Zonisamide and ingest more of the medication than he should. It’s also possible if you have more than one dog that your other dog may access the medication and take it when he doesn’t need it. Both scenarios are pretty common. When this happens, it can be very scary.
So, in this article, we’ve put together information about Zonisamide and how it works, as well as whether or not this drug can be harmful to your dog. Let’s get started!
What is Zonisamide?Check Price on Amazon
Zonisamide is a prescription medication that is prescribed to treat seizure disorders (such as epilepsy). This medication is an anticonvulsant, which also goes by the brand names Zonegran and Excegran. Zonisamide may be used alone or in conjunction with another medication.
While this drug is safe for humans, the FDA has not approved this drug for use in animals. However, it does allow veterinarians to use Zonisamide for “off-label” purposes in dogs (and cats).
Dogs who take this medication may have to deal with some side effects, including:
- Low energy
- Lack of muscle coordination
- Reduced appetite
- Liver problems
But what happens if your dog has too much Zonisamide?
Zonisamide & Dogs
When given at the right dosage, Zonisamide seems to be well-tolerated by most dogs. However, just as with any other medication, it is possible for a dog to have too much Zonisamide.
If your dog ingests too much Zonisamide, then you may notice these symptoms:
- Slow heart rate
- Slow breathing/breathing difficulties
If your dog shows these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This could be a life-threatening medical emergency.
Treatment of Zonisamide Toxicity in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
We couldn’t find definitive information on the treatment of Zonisamide toxicity in dogs. However, if your dog had ingested too much of this medication, then it’s best to call the vet. At the vet’s, they will perform a complete physical of your dog, which will include lab work.
If your dog has recently ingested the medication, then the vet may choose to induce vomiting or use activated charcoal. These treatments work to keep the Zonisamide from being absorbed into your dog’s body in the intestines. The vet may use other measures to treat your dog, too, if he’s ingested too much medication.
If you have two fur babies and one dog (who doesn’t need the medication) who took one pill of Zonisamide, chances are he will be OK. He may become a little sleepy and be somewhat lethargic throughout the day. However, he should be OK the next day, without any ill effects.
The good news is that dogs who overdose on Zonisamide and receive prompt medical care will make a full recovery.
It’s important to call the vet any time your dog has too much medication or ingests a medication not intended for him. Our fur babies are precious and depend on us to keep them safe and seek treatment when they need it.