My Dog Ate Amoxicillin What Should I Do?

By Julie •  Updated: 02/05/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Amoxicillin is a commonly used antibiotic that’s used for both humans and their pets. Has your dog eaten your Amoxicillin? Then you may want to read this.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

What is Amoxicillin?

Amoxicillin is a version of penicillin, which works against a broad range of bacterial infections. It kills bacteria by keeping them from forming cell walls.

This medication is used in both human and veterinary medicine; however, the human version may be toxic to dogs when taken in large doses. Otherwise, it is a very safe medication even for dogs. But the dose and the pills fillers are different from the human version. For this reason, never give your dog the human version of Amoxicillin.

What happens if the dog ingests your antibiotic?

Amoxicillin and Dogs

As mentioned earlier, Amoxicillin made for humans can be toxic to dogs. This is because the dose and fillers used in the pills can be toxic for dogs. Amoxicillin for humans contains artificial flavors, colorings, and preservatives.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

In the case of liquid Amoxicillin, it may even contain xylitol, which is very toxic to dogs.

Your fur baby’s Amoxicillin can also be toxic if the dose is too high for him. In addition, some dogs are allergic to this medication.

Symptoms of Amoxicillin Toxicity in Dogs

Your dog may show these symptoms if he’s ingested Amoxicillin:

If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, then call the vet right away. This is a medical emergency.

What to Do if Your Dog Ingests Amoxicillin

The first thing is to determine if he ate your pills, his own, or ingested the liquid version of this antibiotic. Next, see if you can figure out how many pills he may have eaten.

Then call the vet immediately.

Treatment of Amoxicillin Poisoning in Dogs

When you reach the vet’s, they will perform a physical exam of your dog, checking his vital signs, and symptoms. After this, he may use activated charcoal, gastric lavage, as well as medications to protect your dog’s gastrointestinal tract. Your fur baby may also need an IV for fluids and medications.

The goal of treatment is to detoxify your dog and treat other symptoms. Some dogs may need to stay in the hospital for a few days, depending on the toxic levels of Amoxicillin in your dog.

With prompt treatment, most dogs go on to have a full recovery.

(Visited 4,510 times, 5 visits today)

Julie

Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]