My Dog Ate Whipped Cream Will He Get Sick?

By Julie •  Updated: 07/21/20 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Who doesn’t enjoy the whipped, fluffy light topping of whipped cream on a dessert? Or maybe you enjoy an occasional serving of whipped cream from a can? Don’t worry, we won’t give away your secret!

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Does your dog also like to indulge in a whipped cream snack now and then? Then he’s not alone! This is one snack that most dogs will jump at in a heartbeat!

But what happens if your fur baby has some whipped cream? Will he get sick?

Whipped Cream and Your Dog

Right off, we’ll let you know that whipped cream isn’t toxic to dogs. A small bit of whipped cream every now and then won’t hurt your canine companion. However, it’s best not to feed it to your pup too often.

Some dogs are able to cope with dairy products without any ill effects. However, some dogs do have an intolerance to dairy or even develop dairy allergies.

Other health issues that can be caused by eating too much whipped cream include:

While these may not be life-threatening conditions, they can make your fur baby feel very bad. A dog with digestive trouble could experience excess amounts of gas, develop diarrhea and vomiting from eating too much whipped cream. This can also be a sign of dairy intolerance or that he’s having an allergic reaction.

The other issue to consider is did your fur baby only have whipped cream, or did he eat part of a dessert that included whipped cream? If he also ate a dessert, there’s a chance he may have eaten something toxic. Dogs need to avoid lots of sugar, high amounts of fat, and chocolate. Chocolate is toxic to dogs. If your fur baby ate a lot of chocolate along with the whipped cream, then you’ll need to call the vet for advice.

Small Amounts Are OK—Once in a While

Whipped cream, served alone, is a great treat to share with your dog once in a while. It’s OK to give your fur baby about 1 teaspoon of whipped cream—that’s enough, though he will definitely beg for more. Keep in mind that if you give him too much, and share whipped cream with your dog too often, he could become obese and even develop diabetes.

Whipped cream is not toxic, but too much can definitely harm your dog’s health. However, you can both enjoy it together in small amounts, just not too often!

(Visited 1,409 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Julie

Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading