Today, it’s not uncommon to have alcohol wipes at home! They can be used for a wide range of purposes. However, it’s possible your dog may become curious about the wipes. They don’t smell good, but a dog may still eat one! But what happens if a dog eats an alcohol wipe?
Has your dog eaten an alcohol wipe? Are you worried that the alcohol wipe will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about alcohol wipes and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is an Alcohol Wipe?
Alcohol wipes are a type of wipe, such as a hand wipe or cleaning wipe, that contains isopropyl alcohol. The wipes are used for cleaning all kinds of things, including surfaces, computer keyboards, remote controls, and more. The alcohol in the wipes removes dirt, fingerprints, residue build-up, bacteria, and more.
Alcohol wipes are generally made from lint-free polyester fabric. The wipes are then soaked in isopropyl alcohol and deionized water. On the wipe’s container, the higher the percentage of alcohol listed, the more alcohol there is in the solution. For instance, 70% alcohol wipes don’t have as much alcohol as 90% isopropyl alcohol wipes.
While alcohol wipes are considered safe for humans (when used as directed), what about dogs? Can alcohol wipes make a dog sick if he eats one?
Alcohol Wipes & Dogs
Unfortunately, alcohol wipes can be toxic to dogs. The alcohol in the wipes is toxic to dogs and can be absorbed into the dog’s skin pretty quickly.
Symptoms of Alcohol Wipes Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten an alcohol wipe:
- Disorientation & loss of body control
- Excessive salivation
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of consciousness
- Heart rhythm problems
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Your dog needs to be treated by the vet ASAP.
Treatment of Alcohol Wipe Ingestion in Dogs
The vet may try to induce vomiting and use activated charcoal to remove the toxin from your dog’s symptoms. In some cases, it may be necessary for the vet to also use gastric lavage to ensure the toxin is removed from your fur baby’s system.
After this, the vet will treat other symptoms as they arise. Your canine companion may require an IV for fluids and to administer medications.
The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical care after eating an alcohol wipe. The recovery time can be lengthy depending on how many wipes your dog has eaten and how soon he received treatment. In the future, it’s to keep all alcohol wipes and other household chemicals out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be better for it!