Do you enjoy After Eights? Who doesn’t? If you love mint and chocolate, you’ll love this product! Unfortunately, many dogs also love this combination! But what happens if your dog eats After Eights? Can they make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten After Eights? Are you worried the After Eights will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about After Eights and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are After Eights?
After Eights are a yummy candy called After Eight Mint Chocolate Thins. They’re a lovely combination of a mint middle with a covering of chocolate. What’s not to like? These chocolate-covered mints are made by Nestle.
After Eights were originally made from dairy-free dark chocolate. However, Nestle changed the product ingredients in 2002, when the company began adding butterfat to the product.
While After Eights are safe for humans (in moderation), what about dogs? Can After Eights make a dog sick?
After Eights & Dogs
Unfortunately, After Eights are very toxic for dogs. That’s because of the candy’s chocolate covering. Chocolate is highly toxic to dogs because it contains a substance called theobromine.
Theobromine is a stimulant that is chemically similar to caffeine. Most chocolate, aside from white chocolate, contains theobromine.
However, while chocolate is toxic to dogs, peppermint can also cause issues in dogs. Peppermint can cause diarrhea and vomiting in dogs, as well as mouth burns.
Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs
If your dog eats After Eights, you may notice these symptoms:
- Excessive urination
- Increased thirst
- Racing heart rate
- Muscle tremors
- Heart failure
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Be sure to let the vet know about how many After Eights your dog has eaten. Also, tell the vet about what time this happened.
Treatment depends on how many After Eights your canine companion has eaten. So, the vet may try to induce vomiting and use activated charcoal to remove the toxin from your dog’s system. In addition, your fur baby may require an IV for fluids and to administer medications. The vet will also treat any other symptoms that may arise.
Depending on your dog’s condition, he may need to stay overnight (or longer) in the hospital. However, the good news is that dogs who receive prompt medical treatment can make a full recovery.
Even so, prevention is always the best medicine! So, be sure to keep chocolate out of your dog’s reach! You’ll both be happier and healthier for it!