My Dog Ate A Toblerone Bar What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Tom •  Updated: 03/23/23 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Dog Ate A Toblerone Bar

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Toblerone bars are extremely popular, and for good reason—they taste wonderful! The bars make a great treat almost any time of the day. If you have a dog, and he sees you enjoying a Toblerone bar, you can bet he’ll come over and beg for his fair share! But what happens if a dog eats a Toblerone bar?

Has your dog eaten a Toblerone bar? Are you worried the Toblerone bar will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about Toblerone bars and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is a Toblerone Bar?

Toblerone bars are a Swiss chocolate brand produced in Bern, Switzerland. These bars are very distinctive; they look like several triangles joined together. What’s more, these chocolate bars are wonderful to eat!

Toblerone bars contain the following ingredients:

While Toblerone bars are safe for humans (in moderation), what about dogs? Can Toblerone bars make a dog sick?

Toblerone Bars & Dogs

Unfortunately, Toblerone bars make a dog sick. These bars contain chocolate, which is toxic to dogs. The bars also contain almonds, which can make a dog sick.

Chocolate contains substances that are toxic to dogs, including theobromine and caffeine. In addition, almonds contain high amounts of fat that can cause pancreatitis or other issues in dogs.

In rare cases, some dogs may even be allergic to almonds, causing an allergic reaction in a dog.

Symptoms of Toblerone Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog eats a Toblerone bar:

Chocolate toxicity:

Pancreatitis:

Allergic Reaction:

If you notice any of these or other concerning symptoms, call the vet immediately. This may be an emergency.

Treatment of Toblerone Bar Ingestion in Dogs

Treatment depends on the vet’s diagnosis. In case of chocolate toxicity, the vet will work to decontaminate your dog’s system by inducing vomiting or using activated charcoal. Your dog may also require an IV for fluids and to administer medications. The vet will also treat other symptoms as they arise.

For pancreatitis, the vet will start your dog on an IV for fluids (in severe cases), give the dog medications to stop the vomiting. The vet may also withhold food for 24 hours to allow the pancreas to rest. They will then monitor the dog’s symptoms and treat them as necessary.

If your dog has a severe allergic reaction to nuts, the vet may give your dog a shot of epinephrine. They may also give your dog an IV and antihistamines. Some dogs may need supplemental oxygen or even a nebulizer treatment (for breathing difficulties).

As you can see, a Toblerone bar can make your dog pretty sick. So, it’s best to keep these and all candies out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!

(Visited 391 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading