My Dog Ate A Bobby Pin What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 04/06/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Has your dog eaten a bobby pin? Are you worried the bobby pin will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

In this article, we’ll take a look at what a bobby pin is and whether or not it can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is a Bobby Pin?

A bobby pin is a hair styling tool that’s used to help hold the hair in place. Bobby pins come in many different sizes and styles. They’re usually made from wire, which is made to be sturdy.

While bobby pins usually have their sharp ends covered with plastic, they can still cause a problem if swallowed.

It’s easy for a fur baby to find a bobby pin lying around. It could have been dropped, slipped out of your hands, or fallen out of the package. They’re sometimes difficult for us to find; however, it’s entirely possible for a dog to easily find such a small item!

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Bobby Pins & Dogs

The problem with even just one bobby pin is that it can become lodged in the throat, the stomach, or in the intestines. In the throat, the bobby pin can cause choking and gagging. However, in the digestive tract, it’s possible the bobby pin could cause an intestinal blockage.

Another issue is that the bobby pin’s ends, though covered, could still cause scratching or scratching of the tissues in the throat and the digestive tract.

In some dogs, they may be lucky to have the bobby pin pass through their digestive tract. Here, the best result would be the pin showing up in the dog’s poop. That’s a win!

However, it is possible for the bobby pin to become lodged in the digestive tract. This can lead to a very dangerous condition called intestinal blockage.

Symptoms of a Bobby Pin Swallowed by a Dog

Your dog may show these symptoms if he’s swallowed a bobby pin:

If your dog happens to swallow a bobby pin, then it’s a good idea to call the vet. Let them know what’s happened, and they’ll give you advice on what to do next. This may be waiting to see if the bobby pin comes out, or the vet may ask to see your fur baby right away. Be sure to follow the vet’s instructions to ensure your dog stays happy and healthy.

The good news is that most dogs will make a full recovery. However, it’s very important to do what the vet says and pay attention to any symptoms that come up.

(Visited 773 times, 2 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]