My Dog Ate A Sour Patch Kid

Reviewed By Kim •  Updated: 04/10/24 •  5 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Do you like to have a Sour Patch Kid (or a handful) every once in a while? We don’t blame you! Who doesn’t like these candies? But are they good for your dog?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

What are Sour Patch Kids?

Sour Patch Kids are candies are soft, with a coating of sugar, and then another coating of sour sugar on top of that. The sour sugar is made with a combination of citric acid, sugar, and tartaric acid. The slogan for these candies says, “Sour. Sweet. Gone.” And that seems to be true, for these sweets go pretty fast when they’re on the table!

Sour Patch Kids come in a wide range of colors, including lime, lemon, orange, red, and blue. While we may love these sweet and sour candies, are they OK for a dog to eat?

Sour Patch Kids & Dogs

Fortunately, the candy is not toxic to dogs; however, it’s best not to give in if your fur baby would like one, too. Even too much sugar can make a dog very sick.

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

Sugar can wreak havoc on a dog’s system if he has too much. For instance, sugar can lead to weight gain and obesity, heart problems, electrolyte imbalances, and more. And sugar can cause stomach upset, diarrhea, and vomiting.

Disclaimer: It’s simply not a good idea to give your dog candy of any kind.

Xylitol could impact your dog’s health and although a gummy might be sugar-free it certainly isn’t dog food. Dog owner should avoid treats with sweetener and stick to meat, vegetables and fruits like watermelon. A bag of sour patch kids impacts blood sugar and has a high calorie count due to corn syrup. The same way you keep your dog safe from dark chocolate keep your dog’s teeth and a healthy dog by avoiding human food.

Ingestion of high amounts of candies or large amounts of peanut butter could impact heart rate specifically in small dogs. Even a small quantity of sour gummy or skittles will have some toxicity and should be avoided.

Can the Citric Acid in Sour Patch Kids Make my Dog Sick?

Yes, it’s possible; however, citric acid is not toxic to your dog. It could, however, cause some digestive problems if a dog eats too much of it.

Thankfully, Sour Patch Kids, while they are sour, don’t contain enough citric acid to make a dog sick unless he ate a good portion of the bag!

Can Dogs with Diabetes Eat Sour Patch Kids?

Dogs that are diabetic should never eat sugar. This can be extremely dangerous for their health. A dog with diabetes can’t control the amount of sugar in his blood. Even a small amount of Sour Patch Kids could make a diabetic dog very sick.

The problem is that too much sugar in a diabetic dog’s system can lead to hyperglycemia. Hyperglycemia can cause a dog to develop excessive thirst, excessive urination, and excessive hunger.

Your dog may show the following symptoms if he develops this condition:

If your dog shows these or other concerning symptoms, it’s time to call the vet. This can be a life-threatening condition.

My Dog Ate a Sour Patch Kids, Will He Be OK?

If your canine companion has eaten only one or two Sour Patch Kids candies, he’ll be just fine. Just don’t let him have more.

On the other hand, if you find that he’s eaten an entire bag (or more), then you may want to call the vet. They will be able to give you the information on what to do next.

Your fur baby may find your stash of Sour Patch Kids and help himself! If he’s only eaten a few, he should be OK. However, if he’s eaten a bunch of the candy, he could become sick. He could develop these symptoms after eating too many candies:

If you notice these symptoms in your dog, it’s best to call the vet. Your canine companion won’t feel very good with these symptoms, which can last a while. So, it’s best to seek help for your fur baby by contacting the vet.

Safe Alternatives to Sour Patch Kids

Accidents will happen, so it’s best to keep Sour Patch Kids and other candies out of your dog’s reach. However, there are some safe, healthy treat alternatives you can give your fur baby, including:

The good news is that Sour Patch Kids aren’t toxic for dogs. While a dog shouldn’t eat them on a regular basis, maybe one or two as a rare treat would be OK, but only once in a while.

(Visited 6,493 times, 2 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.