My Dog Ate Super Glue What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Kim •  Updated: 12/01/22 •  3 min read
Dog Moderate Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

My Dog Ate Super Glue What Should I Do?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Dogs are extremely curious about everything in their environment. When they find something new, a dog may even try to eat it, including super glue! But what happens if a dog eats super glue?

Has your dog eaten super glue? Are you worried that the super glue will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered information about super glue and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What is Super Glue?

Super glue is a type of fast-acting adhesive that is used in different settings, including industrial, medical, and household. The glue is made from ethyl cyanoacrylate, a monomer that quickly hardens.

Super glue is available in many name and generic brands, and it may be called “instant glue,” “power glue,” or “superglue.”

While super glue is safe when used as directed, what about dogs? What happens if a dog eats super glue?

Super Glue & Dogs

Unfortunately, super glue can make a dog sick. The good news is that super glue is not toxic to dogs! However, it can cause digestive tract issues if ingested.

And if a large amount of super glue is swallowed, the glue can cause an obstruction in the dog’s intestines. This is a severe condition that can lead to death if not treated.

In addition, super glue could get on your dog’s fur or skin, causing irritation and other problems. He could even get the glue in his eyes.

Symptoms of Super Glue Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten super glue:

If you notice these or other concerning symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Super Glue Ingestion in Dogs

The vet may take x-rays of your dog’s digestive tract to see if the glue has created an obstruction. If so, they will need to perform surgery to remove the blockage and repair any damage it may have caused.

Your fur baby may need to be hospitalized for a day or so. The vet will want to keep him under observation.

The good news is that most dogs will make a full recovery; however, seeking medical treatment right away is key.

In the future, it’s best to keep super glue and other household chemicals out of your dog’s reach. Prevention is always the best medicine and the best way to ensure your canine companion stays happy and healthy!

(Visited 381 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading