My Dog Ate A Snickers Bar What Should I Do?

By Kyoko •  Updated: 08/15/22 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Dog Ate A Snickers Bar

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Don’t you just love a Snickers bar? These are wonderful treats at just about any time. The bars are a wonderful mixture of chocolate and other yummy stuff. And the bars can be a great pick-me-up in the afternoon! But what happens if a curious dog happens to eat a Snickers bar?

Has your dog eaten a Snickers bar? Are you worried the Snickers bar will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve put together some information about Snickers bars and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is a Snickers Bar?

A Snickers bar is a chocolate bar produced by Mars, Inc. These yummy candy bars are made with a nougat center coated with caramel and peanuts, which is covered with an outer layer of milk chocolate. As you hear about the ingredients, it’s obvious why these are such popular chocolate bars!

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Here’s the ingredient list for Snickers bars:

Doesn’t reading that list just make you want a Snickers? While the bars are safe for humans (in moderation), what about dogs? Can Snickers bars make a dog sick?

Snickers Bars & Dogs

Snickers contain chocolate, which is toxic to dogs. Thankfully, the bars don’t contain much chocolate, and the other ingredients are pretty safe for dogs.

The problem with chocolate is that it contains two substances that are toxic for our fur babies, which are theobromine and caffeine. Dogs are not able to metabolize these substances. So, theobromine and caffeine stay in the dog’s body for a longer period, which can make a dog very sick.

In most cases, if your dog eats one Snickers bar or one mini Snickers bar, he should be OK. However, it does depend on the number of bars eaten, as well as your dog’s size and weight. Depending on the number of bars eaten, a smaller dog would feel the effects of chocolate more than a larger dog.

Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten a Snickers bar:

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Be sure to let the vet know how many Snickers your dog has eaten, as well as the size of the bars. The vet will also need to know approximately what time your dog ate the Snickers.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment. And if your dog is a Snickerholic, it’s a good idea to keep these and other chocolate bars out of your dog’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!

(Visited 891 times, 3 visits today)

Kyoko

Kyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]