My Dog Ate A Pop Tart What Should I Do?
Pop tarts are a fun breakfast staple that many people and their families enjoy! They come in a wide range of flavors and smell great when heated up. We’re pretty sure if you enjoy these, your canine companion will be sitting at your feet and begging for a bite! But are pop tarts safe for dogs?
Has your dog eaten a Pop Tart? Are you worried the Pop Tart will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together information about Pop Tarts and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is a Pop Tart?
A Pop Tart is a brand of breakfast toaster pastry made by Kellogg’s. The company came out with these yummy breakfast pastries in 1964. Since then, Pop Tarts have become a breakfast staple for many families.
These breakfast pastries are made with two layers of thin pastry that contain a sweet filling. On the outside, the pastries may have frosting on them. Pop Tarts are already cooked and only need to be warmed, making this a fast, tasty breakfast on busy days!
While Pop Tarts are safe for humans (in moderation), can they make a dog sick?
Pop Tarts & Dogs
The good news is that most Pop Tarts are not toxic to dogs. However, some of the pastries may contain ingredients that are not safe for dogs, including chocolate. There are also Pop Tarts that are made with xylitol, which is also toxic to dogs.
Another consideration is that these pastries are full of sugar. Too much sugar can lead to health issues such as pancreatitis, weight gain, and diabetes. What’s more, the product is made with wheat flour. Some dogs can have wheat intolerance or allergy. This applies to all Pop Tart flavors.
What to Do If Your Dog Eats a Pop Tart
The first thing to do is check the Pop Tart package to check the product’s ingredients. If the Pop Tart contains chocolate or xylitol, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
If your dog is allergic to Pop Tarts or has a wheat intolerance, it’s also best to call the vet right away.
And if the Pop Tart doesn’t contain these harmful ingredients, it’s OK to monitor your canine companion for symptoms. Be sure to call the vet for any concerning symptoms, including continuous diarrhea and vomiting, abdominal pain or swelling, and more.
The good news is that if your dog has eaten a Pop Tart that doesn’t contain harmful ingredients, he should be OK. But don’t let him have Pop Tarts on a regular basis, as he could develop some unpleasant health issues.