Dogs have a curious habit of eating almost anything! As a pet parent, you’re probably not surprised to learn that a dog may even eat a plastic plant! No one is completely sure why a dog may do this other than out of curiosity. Can the plastic plant make a dog sick?
Has your dog eaten a plastic plant? Are you worried the plastic plant will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about plastic plants and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is a Plastic Plant?
A plastic plant is usually made to look like a replica of a real plant. Most or all of the parts of the plant are made of plastic. This can include the leaves, stems, and more.
Plastic plants are sometimes used to decorate spaces where live plants may not survive. The room or space may be too dark, for instance. Some people use plastic plants, too, if they have allergies or don’t have a green thumb. When you have plastic plants, you also don’t have to worry about watering them!
While plastic plants can be pretty, what happens if a dog eats one? Can a plastic plant make a dog sick?
Plastic Plants & Dogs
Unfortunately, plastic plants can make a dog very sick. The problem is that plastic is not digestible in the dog’s system. And plastic plants can pose a choking hazard for the dog.
Another issue is that the plastic can become lodged anywhere in the dog’s digestive tract and cause an obstruction. This is a dangerous condition that can cause death if left untreated.
If your fur baby has eaten a small part of a plastic plant, chances are he will be OK. As long as he’s not choking, the plastic may go through his digestive system and come out in his poop. In this case, you may monitor your dog for any symptoms that arise. Watch for the plastic in your fur baby’s poop. If you don’t see it in a day or two, it’s a good idea to call the vet.
Symptoms of Plastic Plant Ingestion in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten a plastic plant:
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain & swelling
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Treatment of Plastic Plant Ingestion in Dogs
Treatment depends on the vet’s diagnosis. If your dog is choking, the vet may try to remove the plastic plant by hand or via an endoscopic procedure.
On the other hand, if your fur baby has an obstruction, the vet may need to perform surgery to remove the plastic. They will also repair any damage the plastic may have caused.
The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment after eating a plastic plant. If your dog seems to love eating plastic plants, it’s best to keep him out of rooms where you use these. And keep all plastic plants out of his reach. You’ll both be happier for it!