My Dog Ate A Frog What Should I Do?
Your dog just came running up to you with a “gift.” When you look down, you see a half-eaten frog hanging from your dog’s mouth! Yuck! While that is gross, the main thing is to figure out what to do next. Could that frog have been poisonous for your dog?
Are Frogs Toxic to Dogs?
The answer to that question largely depends on where you live. Try to think of the frogs in your area. Have you ever heard that any of them are poisonous? Have you heard of a dog being poisoned by a frog?Check Price on Amazon
Also, remember that while you may not have frogs living nearby, it’s possible toads may be in the area. Again, depending on where you live, are there toads that are poisonous? Was your dog carrying a frog or a toad? Toads tend to live where it’s dryer, while frogs usually live near water.
It’s very probable your fur baby has eaten a frog if the creature remnant he brought you were green in color.
Does your dog still have the frog? If so, you should try to take it away and put part of the frog in a bag. This can help the vet determine if the frog is toxic to your dog or not.
Symptoms a Frog was Poisonous to Your Dog
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten a poisonous frog:
- Frothing at the mouth
- Dazed look
- Bright red gums
- Abnormal heart rhythm
- Difficulty breathing
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, call the vet and get their advice now. They will be able to tell you whether or not your fur baby needs to be seen. They’ll also provide advice on what to do next.
In most cases, your fur baby will be OK, as long as it wasn’t a poisonous frog he ate. Your canine companion may have an upset stomach, diarrhea, or vomiting after eating the critter. But he will be OK.Check Price on Amazon
Why Do Dogs Eat Frogs?
That’s a great question! Dogs love to explore, and when they find something that moves and jumps (like a frog does), this may draw their attention. The dog then happily chases the frog until it’s caught. But then the dog may just give an experimental “crunch” and think it wasn’t so bad. So, he goes the rest of the way by snarfing the frog (or most of it) down.
Dogs are non-discerning eaters, which means they’ll eat just about anything around!