My Dog Ate A Chocolate Pop Tart What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 09/22/22 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

My Dog Ate A Chocolate Pop Tart What Should I Do?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Chocolate Pop Tarts are a wonderful breakfast food! These amazing treats are loved by adults and kids alike! But sometimes, it’s possible a dog may see these yummy breakfast tarts and sneak one when you’re not looking! Dogs love to swipe food when you’re not looking! But what happens if a dog eats a chocolate Pop Tart?

Has your dog eaten a chocolate Pop Tart? Are you worried that the chocolate Pop Tart will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.

We’ve gathered some information about chocolate Pop Tarts and whether they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What are Chocolate Pop Tarts?

Pop Tarts are toaster pastries that are produced by Kellogg’s. They were first developed in 1964 and have been going strong since that time! Pop Tarts are made with outer layers of thin pastry with great fillings, such as chocolate, fruit, and more. Most Pop Tarts are also frosted on the outside.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

The toaster pastries are precooked; however, it’s possible to warm them in the toaster or in a microwave oven. And they’re usually sold in pairs that come in a foil pouch; these pastries don’t need to be refrigerated.

Chocolate Pop Tarts contain the following ingredients:

While chocolate Pop Tarts are safe for humans (in moderation), what about dogs? Are chocolate Pop Tarts safe for dogs?

Chocolate Pop Tarts & Dogs

Unfortunately, chocolate Pop Tarts can make a dog sick. The ingredient list does include cocoa; however, the amount is very small and not enough to be toxic to a dog. However, chocolate Pop Tarts can still make a dog sick.

Chocolate Pop Tarts Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog eats chocolate Pop Tarts:

If your dog shows these or other concerning symptoms, it’s a good idea to call the vet. Some dogs may develop diarrhea that lasts longer than 12 to 24 hours. This can lead to dehydration.

Treatment of Chocolate Pop Tarts Ingestion in Dogs

The vet has medication that can treat digestive problems, such as vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea. And if your dog has become dehydrated, the vet may treat him with IV fluids.

The good news is that most dogs will fully recover after eating chocolate pop tarts. If your dog loves Pop Tarts, it’s best to keep them out of his reach. Prevention is always the best medicine!

(Visited 106 times, 1 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]