My Dog Ate Weed Resin What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 07/02/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Has your dog eaten weed resin? Are you worried the weed resin will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We know it’s scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

In this article, we’ll take a look at weed resin and whether or not it can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is Weed Resin?

Weed resin is a cannabis (marijuana) resin that’s produced naturally by the trichomes of the cannabis plant. Weed resin also goes by other names, including hashish, rosin, resin, or reclaim. This natural substance does contain THC, which is a psychoactive substance in cannabis plants.

The resin usually looks like a sticky substance or a powder and can appear in a variety of colors. The resin is extracted right from the plant.

Is it possible to get high from weed resin? Yes, it is. It can even cause intoxication in dogs. The substance can also cause other medical issues in dogs.

Weed Resin & Dogs

As you’ve probably already determined, weed resin can make a dog very sick. It may take an hour or so before you notice symptoms in your dog. Keep in mind that weed resin can be lethal. Just 3 grams of THC per kg of a dog’s body weight can be lethal. While this is rare, it can happen.

What’s more, while a dog is intoxicated by the resin, he may injure himself, have seizures, or the substance can even cause heart damage.

Symptoms of Weed Resin Ingestion in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has eaten weed resin:

If your dog is showing any of the symptoms above, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Weed Resin Ingestion in Dogs

At the vet’s, they will perform a complete physical exam of your dog. The exam will include lab work and other tests.

There is currently no antidote for THC poisoning, so the vet will need to use supportive methods to treat your dog’s symptoms. These include monitoring your dog’s temperature, heart rate, and more. For dogs that are unconscious, he will be monitored for aspiration pneumonia. And if your dog develops hyperthermia, he will be given warm bedding and heating to keep him warm.

If your dog has recently eaten the resin, then the vet may try to induce vomiting and/or activated charcoal. The vet will treat other symptoms as they arise.

The good news is that most dogs will recover completely after eating weed resin. However, he may need to be hospitalized for a few days until he’s stable. After he recovers, your fur baby is sure to be back to his old self again!

(Visited 5,724 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading