My Dog Ate a Battery What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Tom •  Updated: 01/27/20 •  3 min read
Dog Severe Toxicity Level
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

First and foremost, if you know your dog’s eaten a battery or believe it’s possible that he swallowed a batter, then call the vet and get your dog there as soon as possible. Batteries can cause life-threatening medical issues for your fur baby. If you’re reading this because your dog tends to eat strange things, then we’ll discuss the possible reasons, next.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Dogs eat strange, gross things for various reasons. They’re curious creatures and love to explore the world with their mouths. They’ll see if something is edible, or check to see if it’s something fun to play with or tear up, etc. There’s also a medical condition called pica, which causes dogs to eat items and substances that are not considered food.

Batteries are Dangerous for Dogs

When it comes to batteries, these can be highly dangerous if they’re swallowed, bitten or chewed. For one thing the battery is filled with chemicals. These can cause burns and ulcerations in your dog’s mouth, esophagus, and digestive system. Small button-type batteries can also be very dangerous. When they’re swallowed whole, they can still actively create an electrical circuit inside your fur baby, which could cause him serious damage.

Another problem is that the battery could cause something called a bowel obstruction, which is a life-threatening condition. With a bowel obstruction, the item swallowed becomes lodged in the intestines and doesn’t move, creating a block.

It is strongly recommended to contact a Pet Poison Helpline or your veterinarian.

What to Do If Your Dog Ate a Battery

The first thing to do is call the vet and take your fur baby in as quickly as possible. If you know the type of battery your pup ate, let the vet know. Some batteries, if not chewed or broken, can pass through a dog’s digestive tract and pass out the other end with no problems.

However, some batteries, such as the more squared 9-volt type, could become lodged in the intestines and cause a blockage. Also, if your pup bit into the battery, let the vet know. You may have noticed a black powder in your dog’s mouth, on his tongue, etc., if he swallowed a dry-cell alkaline battery.

Symptoms that you dog may have swallowed a battery may include:

Armed with the information you’ve been able to give the vet, they will perform a physical exam and may run tests including x-rays, etc. Then the vet will recommend the proper course of treatment.

Getting your canine companion to the vet as soon as possible could save your dog’s life. Chances are your fur baby will be just fine but do get him to the vet quickly.

(Visited 555 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading