My Dog Ate Boric Acid What Should I Do?
Boric acid is a common household chemical. You know what that means! If it’s found in many homes, there’s a good chance dogs may gain access to this chemical. But is boric acid toxic for dogs? Can dogs get sick from eating boric acid?
Has your dog eaten boric acid? Are you worried the boric acid will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about boric acid and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Boric Acid?
Boric acid (also called borax) is a common chemical found in household cleaners, insect repellents, and more. Boric acid is a naturally occurring mineral that’s produced from boron. Boric acid is found in soil, rocks, plants, and more. It’s mined from the ground and has been used for years in cleaners and pesticides. It fights bacteria and insects.
Boric acid is found in many products, including:
- Toilet cleaners
- All-purpose cleaners
- Laundry detergent
- Dish detergent
- Hand soap
While boric acid is safe when used correctly, what happens if a dog eats it? Can boric acid make a dog sick?
Boric Acid & Dogs
Unfortunately, boric acid is toxic to dogs. It can cause numerous health issues, including organ damage.
Symptoms of Boric Acid Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog eats boric acid:
- Vomiting (may include blood)
- Diarrhea (may include blood)
- Abdominal pain
- Gastric ulceration
- Excessive drooling (may contain blood)
- Neurological symptoms (twitching, stumbling, seizures, and more)
- Severe skin irritation (swelling, redness, burns, and more)
Symptoms may appear within 2-4 hours after ingestion. If your dog shows any of these symptoms, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Let the vet know how much boric acid your dog may have eaten and about what time this happened. It’s also a good idea to take the product packaging along to the vet’s office.
The vet may induce vomiting, use activated charcoal, or another method to decontaminate your dog’s system. After this, your fur baby may require an IV for fluids and administer medications. In most cases, your dog will need to be hospitalized until he’s stable.
The best prognosis is for dogs who receive prompt medical treatment. The faster you can get the dog to the vet, the more it improves his chances of making a full recovery.