Don’t you just love M&Ms? They taste great and come in fun colors, and the candy “melts in your mouth, not in your hand!” Chances are, if your cat sees you eating this colorful candy, she may come and ask for her share! But what happens if a cat eats M&Ms?
Has your cat eaten M&Ms? Are you worried the M&Ms could make your cat sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your cat eats something like this.
We’ve gathered information about M&Ms and whether they can make a cat sick. Let’s get started!
What are M&Ms?
M&Ms are small pieces of candy that have a colored shell on the outside and chocolate inside. Each piece of candy has an “M” printed on it. They contain milk chocolate, and the candy usually does melt in your mouth rather than in your hand! The candy is made by Mars Wrigley and was first produced in 1941 in the US. Today, M&Ms are popular all over the world!
Classic M&Ms contain only chocolate; however, the company also makes these candies with a peanut filling.
Did you know that M&Ms were based on a concept used in the Spanish Civil War? During that time, Spanish soldiers were given pieces of chocolate covered in an outer sugar coating. The idea was to provide the soldiers with chocolate that wouldn’t melt in hot temperatures!
While M&Ms are safe for humans (in moderation), what about cats? Can M&Ms make a cat sick?
M&Ms & Cats
Unfortunately, M&Ms can make a cat pretty sick. If your cat licks or eats one M & M, chances are she will be OK. However, if your fur baby has eaten several M&Ms, she may become sick.
The problem is that M&Ms contain chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which are toxic to cats. The darker the chocolate, the higher the level of these substances it contains.
It’s important to take chocolate toxicity seriously as it can cause death in cats.
Symptoms of M&Ms Ingestion in Cats
You may notice these symptoms if your cat has eaten M&Ms:
- Lack of appetite
- Increased thirst
- Increased urination
- Increased heart rate
- Panting or rapid breathing
- Muscle tremors
If you notice these or other symptoms in your cat, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.
Treatment of M&M Ingestion in Cats
The vet may treat your kitty by inducing vomiting or using activated charcoal (or both methods). After this, the vet will treat other symptoms as they arise. In some cases, your cat may require an IV with fluids and to administer medications.
Depending on the severity of her symptoms, your fur baby may need to be hospitalized until she’s in stable condition.
The prognosis is best for cats who receive prompt medical treatment after eating M&Ms. In the future, it’s best to keep M&Ms and other candies out of your cat’s reach. You’ll both be happier for it!