My Cat Ate Floss What Should I Do
Cats love to play with all types of string and yarn. They even love to play with dental floss! What? Yes, that’s a very common issue we found when researching this article! You’d be surprised at the number of cats that love to play with floss!
But what happens if a cat eats floss? Can floss make a cat sick?
Has your cat eaten some floss? Are you worried the floss will make your cat sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we’ll take a look at floss and whether or not it can make your cat sick. Let’s get started!
What is Dental Floss?Check Price on Amazon
Dental floss, also commonly known as floss, is a type of thin filament that’s been specifically designed to remove food from in between teeth and reach areas a toothbrush isn’t able to reach. Dentists teach their patients to use floss because it not only cleans out food particles, floss also works to remove plaque, prevent gingivitis and the formation of plaque.
Flossing also provides other health benefits. These include the elimination of bad breath and improving heart health. Studies have shown that flossing and good dental hygiene can cut down incidents of heart failure and atrial fibrillation.
Dental floss is an important part of human health; however, can floss be bad for cats? Can eating floss make a cat sick?
Dental Floss & Cats
The answer is it depends on the amount of floss a cat has eaten. If a cat has ingested only a very small piece of floss, chances are she will be OK. In a case like this, there’s a high probability the floss will go through the cat’s digestive tract and come out in her litter box (in her poop).Check Price on Amazon
However, if a cat has ingested a larger piece of floss, this could cause serious trouble for your cat. It’s possible the long piece of floss could become lodged in somewhere in the cat’s digestive tract—from the stomach to the intestines. If this happens, the floss can cause a life-threatening condition called an intestinal blockage.
If your cat has eaten a large amount of floss, then call the vet immediately—this a life-threatening medical emergency.
It’s possible your fur baby may require emergency surgery to remove the blockage safely. The good news is that cats who have this type of surgery go on to make a full recovery. However, the key is to get your cat to the vet as soon as possible. If an intestinal blockage is left untreated, it can result in death.
For this reason, be sure to keep all types of string away from your cat, including dental floss! Never let your cat play unsupervised with yarn, string, etc. And be sure to keep dental floss where your cat can’t get it.