My Cat Ate Battery What Should I Do?

By Kim •  Updated: 06/27/22 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

My Cat Ate Battery What Should I Do?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Batteries are found all over our homes, from the TV remote, to flashlights, toys, and other devices. Our lives are filled with devices that require batteries to operate. That means our kitties have many opportunities to gain access to batteries.

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

Cats love to play with a wide variety of things from spiders and bugs to anything they can flip in the air or slide across the floor! This also includes batteries. But what happens if a cat eats a battery? Can the battery make a cat sick?

Has your cat eaten a battery? Are you worried the battery will make your cat sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your cat eats something like this.

We’ve put together information about batteries and whether they can make a cat sick. Let’s get started!

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

What are Batteries?

Batteries are sources of electric power. They’re used in devices, toys, and more. Do you have a watch? If so, it may use a small button lithium-ion battery for power. And if you have a TV remote, it may use AA or AAA batteries to power the device.

Most batteries are made to use once and then be thrown away. Batteries of this type can be found in flashlights, toys, and more. They also come in a wide range of shapes and sizes, some of which are small enough to be swallowed by a cat.

But what happens if a cat eats a battery? Can the battery make a cat sick?

Batteries & Cats

Unfortunately, batteries can make cats sick. Batteries are made of metals and chemicals that can be harmful if ingested. When the casing of the battery is chewed, it’s possible the chemicals inside can leak out and cause burns to your cat’s mouth, esophagus, and stomach.

Another problem is that the battery may become lodged in the cat’s throat and cause her to choke. The battery may also become lodged in the cat’s digestive tract and cause an intestinal obstruction.

Symptoms of Battery Ingestion in Cats

You may notice these symptoms if your cat has eaten a battery:

If your cat is showing any of these symptoms, or you suspect she’s eaten a battery, call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment depends on the type of battery the cat ate and whether or not the casing was chewed or swallowed whole. In addition, it also depends on whether or not the battery was punctured and swallowed.

No matter what the situation is, your cat needs to be treated immediately for eating the battery. However, if you find a battery that has scratch and teeth marks, but is whole (no leakage of fluid), then your fur baby is OK. Call the vet if your cat has eaten the battery.

Cats who receive prompt medical treatment have the best chance of making a full recovery. So, if your fur baby has swallowed a battery, do get her to the vet ASAP.

(Visited 114 times, 1 visits today)

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.
[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]