To bring up a smart and obedient dog that fulfills all the commands of the owner, training is needed. In many cities there are special training courses conducted by professional cynologists. But since this service costs a lot of money and, as a rule, is more in demand among breeders of elite dog breeds preparing for various competitions and exhibitions, many owners train animals at home, resorting to simple and understandable recommendations from specialists.
Therefore, immediately with the appearance of a puppy in the house, an important and responsible process of socialization and education begins, which gradually develops into a real training of an adult dog.
In this article, we will talk about why you need to train a pet and how you can do it. After reading our article, we recommend that you browse the Instagram accounts of professional dog handlers and chat with them to get even more information. As a rule, real experts do not even have to buy Instagram followers to gain a large audience. Focus on these experts.
Why train a dog
Any dog, like a child, needs education. Untrained dogs do not obey the owner, spoil various things in the house, go to the toilet anywhere, run away for a walk, chase cats and mongrels, and generally cause a lot of trouble and problems to their owner.
In order for your pet to behave civilly, unquestioningly carry out all the given commands, understand its place in the house and not do stupid things while walking, you need training.
Preparing for training: where to start
In order for dog training to lead to positive results, you need the right preparation for the learning process. Start by preparing your pet.
- Before training, you can not feed the dog, because after feeding it must rest. In addition, active movements on a full stomach increase the likelihood of problems with the gastrointestinal tract.
- Before training, the owner needs to establish contact with the dog, play with it, pet it.
- In order for the pet to fully concentrate on the educational process, you must first release it to the toilet to satisfy natural needs.
- To train a pet on the street, you will need some ammunition items: a soft leather collar, a leash (length from 1 to 15 meters), a treat for motivation and encouragement for following commands. Dogs of medium and large breeds will also need a muzzle.
How to train a dog at home?
If you plan to start training with a puppy, then the best age to learn the basics is 4 months. Success depends on the following factors:
- Motivation. In order for the dog to join the process of training with pleasure, it is necessary to interest it in this. Therefore, each correct execution of the command should be rewarded with treats, praise and stroking.
- Favorable weather conditions. If the weather is too hot outside, then you should move the pet training to the early morning, when there is no scorching sun. Otherwise, the pet will become lethargic, it will be difficult to concentrate on the tasks assigned to it. Also, do not work with your pet in the rain, because it will be distracted by the abundance of new smells.
- External stimuli. They must be introduced gradually, as the command is mastered. The first dog training is best done in a quiet place away from people, roads, places for walking other animals, so that nothing distracts the pet. For starters, you can try to give commands at home.