Have you considered buying Rachael Ray Nutrish dog food but aren’t sure if it’s right for your dog? We understand. It’s confusing when there are so many brands of dog food available! However, if you’d like more information about Rachael Ray Nutrish dog food, then you’ve come to the right place.
We’ve put together information on the history of this dog food, whether it’s been recalled, and more. Let’s get started!
What is Rachael Ray Nutrish Dog Food?
Rachael Ray Nutrish dog food is a high-quality dog food that is known for providing healthy, natural ingredients at affordable prices. The brand includes a wide range of dry and wet dog goods, along with treats and more.
The dog food is famous for having limited ingredients and grain-free recipes. It’s a dog food that works for most dogs; however, we did find some potential issues with the brand. Even so, it has plenty to offer and is of higher quality than other brands.
History of Rachael Ray Nutrish
The Rachael Ray Nutrish brand of dog food was first developed by the TV personality and chef of the same name, Rachael Ray. She had trouble finding the right dog food for her Pitbull, named Isaboo. Through experimenting, Rachael Ray developed some recipes that her dog loved, which led her to create Rachael Ray Nutrish in 2008.
Rachael Ray is also known for helping organizations that work with local shelters in need. She’s also started a pet adoption program. What’s more, a portion of each purchase of her dog foods goes to help local shelters and adoption programs.
Most Rachael Ray dog food products are produced completely in the US. However, the brand’s wet dog food is produced in Thailand. Products made in the US are manufactured by Ainsworth Pet Nutrition, which now belongs to the J. M. Smucker Company (since 2019). Ainsworth has been producing pet food since 1933. Ainsworth is a reputable company, and its products meet USDA, FDA, and AAFCO standards.
Rachael Ray Nutrish is available through different retail chains, such as Target, Walmart, Amazon, and more.
What to Look for in a High-Quality Dog Food?
Before we take a look at the Rachael Ray Nutrish dog food line, it’s essential to know what to look for in high-quality dog food. We’ve put together some brief tips to help you out:
- Choose the right food: dog food comes in various formulations, including dry kibble, canned, and semi-moist.
- Look for a guaranteed analysis of the dog food’s nutritional content.
- The first ingredient should also be a meat or animal protein.
- The dog food should only include healthy grains, vegetables, and foods. These should be safe for dogs and provide the nutrition dogs need. Avoid dog foods that contain peas, soy, corn, and wheat.
- Look for the AAFCO nutrient profile on the dog food label. This shows the recipe meets the requirements for the AFFCO.
- Avoid dog foods that contain by-products, generic fat sources, artificial anything.
This is a very quick overview of what to look for (or not) in a high-quality dog food. You can use this information as a guide when buying dog food and also as you read through the rest of this article. You’ll have a better understanding of some of the comments we’ve made in regards to the Rachael Ray Nutrish dog food line.
What Types of Dogs is Rachael Ray Nutrish Best For?
Rachael Ray Nutrish is a great choice for dogs, even those that may require a special diet. The brand offers different choices and is more inclusive than other brands at the same price point.
Many pet parents have even said Rachael Ray Nutrish was satisfying for their picky eaters! The recipes contain freeze-dried raw meat chunks, which provides the dog food with more flavor.
This dog food seems to be a good fit for most dogs.
What Types of Dogs Would Do Better on Another Brand of Dog Food?
Dogs that have allergies or sensitive digestive tracts may do better on other dog food brands.
In addition, dogs that are extremely active may not receive the required nutrients they need.
So, dogs with these issues or considerations may do better with other dog food brands.
Has Rachael Ray Nutrish Ever Been Recalled?
The Nutrish line of dog food has not been recalled. However, other Rachael Ray pet food products have been recalled. These foods were produced by Ainsworth and Smuckers and included:
- 2015: Some cans of Rachael Ray Nutrish wet cat food were recalled. They contained high levels of vitamin D that could be toxic to cats (or dogs).
- 2019: the FDA recalled multiple brands of grain-free dog foods, including some Nutrish products.
In addition, Ainsworth was sued for Nutrish’s ad, which claimed “all-natural” ingredients. However, the company has suffered no more legal issues since that time.
Main Ingredients: Good & Bad
Here’s a list of some of the main ingredients found in Rachael Ray’s Nutrish dog food line:
Chicken meal maybe the second or third ingredient on the product label, which means more protein in the dog food. Chicken meal, however, has a bad reputation. That’s because it’s a processed ingredient. However, it contains more protein than whole meat and only uses the clean parts of the chicken.
Peas are found in many grain-free dog food brands as a non-grain carbohydrate. However, studies have shown that there may be a link between heart disease and peas in dogs.
This could be a possible concern for dogs that have heart issues.
This may be a potential problem, as soybean meal is in only the grain-inclusive recipes in the Nutrish product line. Soy can be good; it’s a non-animal protein, and most dogs can safely eat soy. However, some dogs are allergic to soy, while other dogs may not be able to have too many types of protein.
In addition, soybean meal is often used as a filler and a way to keep costs down.
In this case, the dogs may need to switch over to a grain-free dog food.
Rachael Ray Nutrish Dog Food Recipes
The Rachael Ray Nutrish dog food line includes different recipes, including the following:
- Real Chicken & Veggies: this is one of the most popular dog food recipes in the line
- Turkey, Brown Rice & Venison
- Real Beef & Brown Rice
- Bright Puppy Real Chicken & Brown Rice
Rachael Ray Nutrish Dish
The Dish product line is advertised as a “super-premium food for dogs.” The recipes include real ingredients that aren’t created in a lab. Most of the ingredients are recognizable. The recipes in this line include:
- DISH Chicken & Brown Rice
- DISH Beef & Brown Rice
Just 6 is another product line under the Rachael Ray Nutrish brand and includes just one recipe. This recipe is made with only a handful of ingredients and contains no soy, wheat, or corn.
- Just 6 Real Lamb Meal & Brown Rice
Rachael Ray Nutrish also offers the Zero Grain line, which is doesn’t contain any grains, glutens, or fillers. What’s more, meat is the first ingredient on the list. This line includes four recipes:
- Zero Grain Turkey & Potato
- Zero Grain Beef, Potato, & Bison
- Zero Grain Salmon & Sweet Potato
- Zero Grain Chicken & Sweet Potato
Next, the brand has a line called Peak, which is the newest dog food under the brand name. It includes two recipes that pack in the nutrients and provide 30% of calories from proteins. The line includes:
- PEAK Open Range Recipes with Beet, Venison, & Lamb
- PEAK Northern Woodlands Recipe with Turkey, Duck, & Quail
Rachael Ray Nutrish Wet & Canned Food
Rachael Ray Nutrish also offers six different wet and canned dog food recipes, including:
- Rustic Duck Stew
- Beef Stroganoff
- Chicken Muttballs with Pasta
- Hearty Beef Stew
- Savory Lamb Stew
- Chicken Paw Pie
The Nutrish line also offers about 15 different types of treats for dogs! That’s too many to list here, but they seem to be a hit with the canine set!
Review of Rachael Ray Nutrish Chicken & Veggies Recipe Dry Dog Food
Rachael Ray Nutrish Chicken & Veggies Recipe Dry Dog Food is one of the most popular recipes in the Nutrish line. The product is made with whole chicken, listed as the first ingredient on the label. Most dogs are able to easily digest chicken, making this recipe one that is healthy for most dogs.
The recipe is also fortified with minerals and vitamins to ensure dogs get the nutrients they need each day. And it contains no by-products or fillers, which are often found in lower-quality dog foods.
This dog food is affordable and high quality and is a great option for pet parents who want premium food for their canine companions but can’t afford premium prices.
One issue with this food is that it does contain peas.
Review of Racheal Ray Nutrish PEAK Natural Open Range Beef, Venison, & Lamb Dry Dog Food
Rachael Ray Nutrish PEAK Natural Open Range Beef, Venison, & Lamb Dry Dog Food is another popular adult dry dog food in this product line. It offers about 30% more protein than other Nutrish recipes and is made with whole beef, venison, and lamb.
This product contains no poultry by-products or artificial ingredients. PEAK does contain chicken fat and salmon oil, which are two great sources of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids.
The dog food is also less expensive than other premium dog foods.
Advantages of Nutrish Dog Foods
- Rachael Ray Nutrish recipes all contain meat as the first ingredient on the label. And some recipes contain a single source of protein, which is best for dogs with certain health problems, including allergies.
- The brand’s seafood recipes offer healthy amounts of omega 3 fatty acids.
- Many dogs find chicken to be extremely easy to eat and digest. Chicken meal and poultry fat also make dry dog food tastier.
- Nutrish recipes are affordable and offer high-quality dog food for pet parents who can’t afford premium dog food prices.
Disadvantages of Nutrish Dog Foods
- Most of the recipes do seem to contain corn, ground rice, and other carbs. However, the line does include products that use brown rice, sweet potatoes, and other high-quality carbohydrate sources.
- Some of the recipes do use artificial colors, which it’s best to avoid.
- The recipes don’t contain many fruits or veggies, which can be very healthy for dogs.
- Probiotics are not included in the recipes. These can be helpful to regulate a dog’s digestive system and boost his immune system.
Our Evaluation of the Nutrish Product Line
Overall, the recipes are healthy and offer the nutrients dogs need to stay healthy and happy. However, there are some disadvantages (listed in the last section). These can be concerning for some dogs, depending on their age, activity level, and if they have chronic health issues.
However, the Nutrish line of dog foods does meet the minimum requirements for nutrition. Each recipe includes protein as the first ingredient, for example. And each recipe meets the requirements of the AAFCO. However, we would not call these premium dog foods. At best, they are high quality and healthy for most dogs.
If your dog has certain health issues, such as allergies, you may want to consider using another brand of dog food. Rachael Ray Nutrish products are affordable and of higher quality than other products for the same price. Even so, you may want to consider other options for your dog’s food.
Having said that, we do want to recommend the other Rachael Ray Nutrish recipes, including the Peak Formula, Zero Grain Formula, DISH formula, and their Just 6 Formula. These are much healthier options that may be OK for dogs with certain health conditions.
Summing It Up
If you have any questions about the right dog food for your canine companion, we recommend reaching out to your vet. The vet knows your dog and has the knowledge and experience needed to choose a high-quality dog food diet that is best for your dog. Your dog deserves the best food you can buy for him.
We do recommend the Rachael Ray Nutrish dog food line; however, it’s always a good idea to check with your vet before making any changes to your fur baby’s diet!