My Dog Ate Amoxicillin What Should I Do?
Amoxicillin is a commonly used antibiotic that’s used for both humans and their pets. Has your dog eaten your Amoxicillin? Then you may want to read this.
What is Amoxicillin?
Amoxicillin is a version of penicillin, which works against a broad range of bacterial infections. It kills bacteria by keeping them from forming cell walls.
This medication is used in both human and veterinary medicine; however, the human version may be toxic to dogs when taken in large doses. Otherwise, it is a very safe medication even for dogs. But the dose and the pills fillers are different from the human version. For this reason, never give your dog the human version of Amoxicillin.
What happens if the dog ingests your antibiotic?
Amoxicillin and Dogs
As mentioned earlier, Amoxicillin made for humans can be toxic to dogs. This is because the dose and fillers used in the pills can be toxic for dogs. Amoxicillin for humans contains artificial flavors, colorings, and preservatives.
In the case of liquid Amoxicillin, it may even contain xylitol, which is very toxic to dogs.
Your fur baby’s Amoxicillin can also be toxic if the dose is too high for him. In addition, some dogs are allergic to this medication.
Symptoms of Amoxicillin Toxicity in Dogs
Your dog may show these symptoms if he’s ingested Amoxicillin:
- Lack of appetite
- Uncoordinated gate
- Difficulty breathing
- Increased heart rate
- Swelling around the face
- Skin rash
- Excessive thirst & urination
If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, then call the vet right away. This is a medical emergency.
What to Do if Your Dog Ingests Amoxicillin
The first thing is to determine if he ate your pills, his own, or ingested the liquid version of this antibiotic. Next, see if you can figure out how many pills he may have eaten.
Then call the vet immediately.
Treatment of Amoxicillin Poisoning in Dogs
When you reach the vet’s, they will perform a physical exam of your dog, checking his vital signs, and symptoms. After this, he may use activated charcoal, gastric lavage, as well as medications to protect your dog’s gastrointestinal tract. Your fur baby may also need an IV for fluids and medications.
The goal of treatment is to detoxify your dog and treat other symptoms. Some dogs may need to stay in the hospital for a few days, depending on the toxic levels of Amoxicillin in your dog.
With prompt treatment, most dogs go on to have a full recovery.