My Dog Ate a Bee What Should I Do?
Most dogs love to grab at flying insects. Have you ever noticed your canine companion snapping flies, mosquitoes or other flying bugs right out of thin air? What happens if your dog swallows a stinging insect? That’s a good question that we’ll be reviewing in this article.
Will my Dog Get Sick from Eating a Bee?
More than likely, your pup will be OK. Your fur baby’s digestive system will deal with the bee and treat it the same as any other thing you dog may swallow. Bees and other stinging insects are not poisonous when swallowed. Instead, the worry is the venom they carry. If the insect stings your dog, that could be a problem.
Dogs & Bee Stings
If your dog happens to grab the bee, and it has a chance to sting him before it’s swallowed, then this could be a problem. The sting may be somewhere on your dog’s face, such as his nose or mouth, or the sting could happen when the bee enters your fur baby’s mouth. Then the sting could be on his gums, tongue or anywhere the bee can reach.
Some dogs are allergic to bees and other stinging insects. If this is the case with your dog, then he will need to be taken to the vet immediately. This could be a life-threatening emergency and your fur baby will need treatment as soon as possible.
Here are the most common symptoms for bee stings in dogs:
- Weakness, stumbling, disorientation
- Dizziness or fainting
- Pawing at the site of the sting (could be his face, mouth, etc.)
- Pale gums
- Low body temperature/low blood pressure
- Difficult breathing
If your pup suffers a mild sting, he may experience some redness or swelling at the sting site. However, he could have a severe allergic reaction. In this case, you may notice any of the symptoms in the list above, and you may see a large amount of swelling where he was stung. Some people have said it looked as if their dog’s face was “melting,” this is due to an anaphylactic reaction to the venom.
Whether or not the sting is serious, be sure to call the vet right away to get their guidance on what should be done next to help your dog. For a mild reaction, you can give your dog some Benadryl, and follow the vet’s instructions. For a severe reaction, you’ll need to get your fur baby to the vet immediately. Depending on the severity of the reaction, your pup may need to be hospitalized.
We hope this guide helps you to take the best action to help your fur baby and we wish you both all the best!