My Puppy Ate Chocolate Will He Get Sick?

Reviewed By Kyoko •  Updated: 05/17/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Puppies are curious about everything around them! Whether that be insects, chasing the cat, or trying to nibble food he finds, puppies will have all sorts of adventures!

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

But what happens if a puppy eats chocolate? Will the chocolate make the puppy sick? If your puppy has eaten chocolate, we understand you’re concerned. You’ve come to the right place for answers.

In this article, we’ll take a look at chocolate and whether or not it can make your puppy sick. Let’s get started!

What is Chocolate?

Chocolate comes from the fruit of the Theobroma cacao tree, which is a tropical tree that’s native to the Amazon and the Orinoco river basins in South America. The use of chocolate dates all the way back to the Olmec civilization in Mesoamerica. When Europeans discovered the Americas, they also found chocolate waiting. They took the substance back with them to Europe, and from there, the love of chocolate has spread around the world!

Chocolate is popular and famous for its rich, sweet taste. Unfortunately, dogs and puppies also seem to have a taste for chocolate.

Can chocolate make a puppy sick?

Chocolate & Puppies

Unfortunately, chocolate is very toxic to canines, including puppies. Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which are both toxic to dogs. These substances can stimulate a puppy’s nervous system, as well as increase his heart rate.

There are different types of chocolate, some that aren’t as toxic as other types:

If your puppy has eaten chocolate, the first thing you need to do is figure out what type he’s eaten. Then figure out how much chocolate your puppy has ingested. Puppies are small, so it won’t take very much chocolate to make a puppy sick.

Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity in Puppies

You may notice these symptoms if your puppy has eaten chocolate:

If your puppy is showing any of these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This is a medical emergency.

Treatment may include activated charcoal and/or inducing vomiting. Your puppy may need to have an IV for fluids and to make it easy to give him medications to treat symptoms as they arise. He will probably need to stay hospitalized for a day or so until he is stable.

The good news is that your puppy will make a full recovery if he receives prompt medical care. And in the future, it will be best to ensure that chocolate is put where your puppy can’t reach it.

(Visited 107 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kyoko

Kyoko is from a family of 3 and moved to New York with her parents and siblings when she was 13. Kyoko is fond of spending a great amount of time with pets, specifically her beagle Luna and cat Missy. Her boyfriend often complains that she spends too much time giving attention to their animals. Kyoko has written dozens of articles concerning pets and is aiming at owning a pet shop one day!

Keep Reading