My Puppy Ate a Bee What Should I Do?

Reviewed By Kim •  Updated: 05/16/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase this item or service, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain our own.

Puppies like to play with just about anything, including flying bugs such as bees. Have you noticed your puppy chasing a bee? Did your puppy eat the bee? We understand that you’re worried about your puppy. It’s scary when they eat things they shouldn’t.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

If you’re worried about your puppy eating a bee, then you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll take a look at bees and whether or not eating one can make your puppy sick. Let’s get started!

Bees—Something Interesting for Puppies

Puppies love to play! That’s a fact! It’s so much fun watching them bounce around after toys and run around the yard! What has more energy than a puppy?

However, sometimes a puppy may play with something that’s harmful. He has no experience of the world, or at least only a limited experience. When he sees a flying insect, the puppy’s natural inclination is to chase it. What could be more fun and challenging than chasing a bee?

Can a Puppy Get Sick from Eating a Bee?

It can be that a puppy is fast enough to catch a bee. So, what happens then? If the puppy has swallowed the bee, there’s a chance nothing will happen. It’s just another bit of protein the puppy’s eaten.

However, it is possible for the bee to sting the puppy before it’s swallowed. The bee could sting the puppy’s face, inside his mouth, or even in the puppy’s throat. The danger here is that the puppy could have an allergic reaction to the bee venom.

The bee venom may cause something called an anaphylactic reaction. This is a very serious form of an allergic reaction, which can lead to death if not treated promptly.

Symptoms of an Anaphylactic Reaction in a Puppy

You may notice these symptoms if your puppy has been stung by a bee:

If your puppy shows any of these signs, don’t wait to see how they develop. Call the vet immediately—this is a medical emergency.

One note: it is possible that symptoms could start up within 10 minutes after being stung; however, symptoms may not show up for hours afterward.

The good news is that most puppies who receive prompt treatment for a bee sting will make a full recovery. The key is to see the vet as soon as possible once your puppy begins showing signs he’s reacting to a bee sting.

(Visited 156 times, 1 visits today)
Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. Licensed vets are available 24/7 to answer your questions. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Kim

Kim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.

Keep Reading