Eucalyptus oil is a popular essential oil used by many people around the country. It’s used for many purposes and is easy to find at the store. It is considered safe for humans, but what happens if a dog licks eucalyptus oil?
Has your dog licked eucalyptus oil? Are you worried the eucalyptus oil may make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when a dog does something like this.
In this article, we’ll take a look at eucalyptus oil and whether or not it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Eucalyptus Oil?
Eucalyptus oil is made from the eucalyptus tree, which comes from Australia. The oil is extracted from the leaves of this tree and then used in many ways. Eucalyptus oil has some medicinal properties that make it helpful for nasal congestion, common colds & flu, asthma, and more.
When the oil is diluted, it can also be applied to the skin to treat issues such as skin ulcers and arthritis. The oil is also used in mouthwash, cold remedies, and more.
While eucalyptus oil is considered safe for humans when used correctly, what about dogs? Can eucalyptus oil make a dog sick?
Eucalyptus Oil & Dogs
Unfortunately, eucalyptus oil is toxic to dogs. The oil contains a substance called eucalyptol, which is known as a gastric irritant and a neurotoxin. Even a small lick of eucalyptus oil can be enough to make a dog sick.
Symptoms of Eucalyptus Toxicity in Dogs
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has licked eucalyptus oil:
- Dilated eyes
- Difficulty swallowing
- Low blood pressure
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle weakness
- Pawing at the mouth
- Rapid, shallow breathing
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Also, do not induce vomiting unless the vet advises this. Doing so could cause more damage to your dog.
Treatment of Eucalyptus Poisoning in Dogs
Treatment may begin with gastric lavage, which is used to wash the toxin from your dog’s digestive tract. The vet may then treat your dog with activated charcoal, as well as IV fluids and other medications. It’s also possible your fur baby may need to be hospitalized for a few days until he’s stable and feeling a little better.
The good news is that dogs who receive prompt treatment after ingesting eucalyptus oil have a better chance of making a complete recovery. So, getting treatment for your fur baby as soon as possible is key to his health and even his survival.