My Dog Licked Essential Oil What Should I Do?
Essential oils are very popular these days and are found in many homes. They’re used for many reasons and can be found in candles, cleaning products, and more. With many people using essential oils, it means more dogs have access to these chemicals, too. Accidents can happen, and dogs are known to be curious! So, what happens if a dog licks essential oil?
Has your dog licked essential oil? Are you worried the essential oil could make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog does something like this.
In this article, we’ll take a look at essential oil and whether or not it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Essential Oil?
Essential oils are concentrated extracts that are taken from various types of plants. The plants usually have some medicinal properties, which can also be found in the oil expressed from the plant’s parts.Check Price on Amazon
These oils are popular today for many reasons. Some essential oils are used to make rooms smell better. They’re also used in makeup and personal care products. Essential oils are also used by aromatherapists, which use essential oils by diffusing them into the air. The oils are also used as bug repellents and insecticides. And some essential oils are even safe to use on dogs.
But what happens if a dog licks essential oils?
Essential Oils & Dogs
Some essential oils are toxic to dogs, so it really depends on the type of essential oil your dog has licked. These essential oils are known to be poisonous to dogs:
- Ylang ylang
- Sweet birch
- Tea tree (melaleuca)
Licking or skin exposure to these essential oils can be toxic to dogs. On the skin, essential oils can cause chemical burns and skin irritation. What’s more, these oils can also cause liver problems, as well as gastrointestinal problems.
Symptoms of Essential Oil Toxicity in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has licked essential oils that are toxic to him:
The scent of the essential oil on your dog’s breath, hair, or skin
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty walking
- Excessive drooling
- Muscle tremors
- Pawing at face or mouth
- Redness or burns on lips, gums, tongue, skin
- Vomiting (which may smell like the essential oil)
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This could be an emergency. Do not induce vomiting or give your dog activated charcoal unless the vet advises you to do so.
Dogs who have been poisoned by essential oils require fast treatment to avoid the more devastating health issues that can develop after exposure or ingestion. So, don’t wait around to see if your dog develops symptoms or if his symptoms will improve. He needs to be taken to the vet right now.
The good news is that dogs who receive prompt treatment for essential oil ingestion have a greater chance of making a full recovery.