My Dog Licked Dog Shampoo What Should I Do?

By Julie •  Updated: 09/11/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Do you have shampoo in your home? Chances are you have multiple containers and different types of shampoo! If so, you’re not alone! But what happens if your dog happens to lick some shampoo?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog licked some shampoo? Are you worried the shampoo will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog does something like this.

In this article, we’ll take a look at shampoo and whether or not it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is Shampoo?

Shampoo is a type of hair care product that’s used to clean human hair. These products are usually in a liquid form but are also sometimes found in bar form. Shampoo is usually applied to wet hair, then massaged into the scalp to clean the hair. When an individual finishes washing their hair, the shampoo must be rinsed out thoroughly.

Shampoo is a type of detergent, which is used to remove sebum from the hair. Most shampoos contain a surfactant (which creates bubbles) and sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

You’ll find a wide range of shampoos available for humans, including shampoo made to treat dandruff for dry hair, young children, and more.

While shampoos are considered safe when used correctly, what happens if a dog licks shampoo?

Shampoo & Dogs

Unfortunately, a dog can develop detergent poisoning even from one lick of shampoo. The ingredients in the shampoo products are not toxic. Even so, they can still make a dog sick.

If a dog licks a small amount of shampoo, he may develop gastrointestinal symptoms.

Symptoms of Detergent Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog licks shampoo:

If your dog develops any of these symptoms, then be sure to call the vet right away. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Shampoo Ingestion in Dogs

Because there’s no antidote for shampoo ingestion, the vet will treat your fur baby with supportive care. This may include an IV with fluids, as well as medications to treat symptoms as they appear. Your fur baby may need to be hospitalized for a few days, depending on the severity of his symptoms.

The good news is that dogs who have licked shampoo will make a full recovery if they receive prompt medical treatment!

(Visited 2,707 times, 6 visits today)

Julie

Julie is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Wilmington, where she studied Animal science. Though contrary to the opinion of her parents she was meant to study pharmacy, but she was in love with animals especially cats. Julie currently works in an animal research institute (NGO) in California and loves spending quality time with her little cat. She has the passion for making research about animals, how they survive, their way of life among others and publishes it. Julie is also happily married with two kids.

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]