My Dog Licked Detergent What Should I Do?

By Tom •  Updated: 09/10/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Dogs are notorious for being curious and sometimes eating things they shouldn’t, including detergent! It’s difficult for us to understand when our dog does something like this. But you can count on the fact he has his reasons for licking the detergent. But what happens if a dog licks detergent?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog licked detergent? Are you worried the detergent will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog does some of this nature.

In this article, we’ll take a look at detergent and whether or not it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What is Detergent?

A detergent is a product that’s used to clean surfaces, clothing, and more. These products contain surfactants, which create the bubbles you see when using a detergent. Detergents are synthetic cleaning compounds, which are different from soap (which is more natural).

There are many types of detergents, which include laundry soaps, anionic detergents used in dish soap and shampoos, cationic detergents, which include disinfectants, fabric softeners, and more. Then there are nonionic detergents, which include dishwashing detergents, shampoos, and laundry detergents.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

While detergents are safe when used correctly, what happens if a dog licks detergent?

Detergents & Dogs

Unfortunately, detergents are very toxic to dogs. Even a lick could be enough to make a dog very sick.

Symptoms of Detergent Toxicity in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has licked detergent:

If your dog shows any of these symptoms, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency.

Treatment of Detergent Toxicity in Dogs

Treatment will depend on the type of detergent your dog has licked. There is no antidote, so the vet will have to use supportive care to treat your dog’s symptoms. This may include IV fluids and medications to treat symptoms as they arise.

In most cases, your dog will need to stay in the hospital for a time until he’s stable and feeling stronger. The good news is that the prognosis is good if a dog receives prompt medical care after licking detergent. In most cases, the dog will make a complete recovery.

For this reason, it’s best to keep detergents and all household chemicals out of the reach of your dog (and young kids).

(Visited 920 times, 1 visits today)

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]