My Dog Licked Coffee What Should I Do?
Many pet parents love to drink coffee. For some, it’s even challenging to get through the day without a cup of joe! If you’re a coffee-lover, we understand. However, you’ll need to keep an eye on your canine companion when there’s coffee around. What can happen if a dog has coffee?
Has your dog licked some coffee? Are you worried the coffee will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog drinks something like this.
In this article, we’ll take a look at coffee and whether or not it can make your dog sick. Let’s get started!
What is Coffee?
Coffee is a hot drink that’s made from the berries harvested from coffee plants. The berries of the coffee plant contain the seeds, which are what we commonly refer to as coffee beans.Check Price on Amazon
There are over 100 species of coffee plants that produce the coffee we enjoy. The hot beverage called coffee is made from the roasted coffee beans of coffee plants. Coffee usually has a dark color and a slightly bitter, acidic taste. What’s more, it contains plenty of caffeine that many of us need to get through our busy days!
However, is coffee safe for dogs?
Dogs & Coffee
Dogs are known to be curious about many things their pet parents eat and drink. So, it’s not unusual for a dog to beg for a bit of what you’re having at any moment throughout the day. First, however, it’s essential to understand that coffee is not safe for dogs.
The caffeine that we crave is toxic to dogs; our fur babies are simply not able to metabolize caffeine the way we do. This can lead to poisoning.
If your dog has a lick or two of coffee, he should be OK. However, if your dog is very small and has a couple of licks of coffee, he could be poisoned.
Coffee in large amounts or eating coffee grounds is even more toxic.
So, if your dog is small and took a couple of licks from your coffee cup, then it’s a good idea to call the vet right away. Don’t wait for symptoms to appear.
Symptoms of Coffee Toxicity in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
You may notice these symptoms if your dog has had some coffee:
- Elevated heart rate
- Increased blood pressure
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Hyperthermia (elevated body temperature)
If you see these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This is an emergency. Too much coffee can lead to death in dogs.
The good news is that dogs who receive prompt medical care for coffee poisoning will make a full recovery.