My Dog Licked a Mothball What Should I Do?

By Tom •  Updated: 08/19/21 •  3 min read
The contents of the OurFitPets.com website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on this site (“Content”) are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website!

Mothballs have been around for a very long time. If you have these around, it’s possible that your dog could find them. But what happens if a dog licks a mothball?

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Has your dog licked a mothball? Are you worried the mothball will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog does something he shouldn’t.

Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?
Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

In this article, we’ll take a look at mothballs and whether or not they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

What Are Mothballs?

Mothballs are a solid pesticide that’s used to get rid of moths and their larvae. They’re usually stored with clothing to keep moths and other bugs away. The balls are usually stored in a sealed container, which allows the vapors of the pesticide to escape.

Mothballs are usually made with some type of insecticide such as naphthalene, paradichlorobenzene (PDB), or camphor. It’s important to know that mothballs labeled “old-fashioned” usually contain naphthalene. Modern types of mothballs usually contain PDB.

Online Veterinary 24/7
Chat With A Veterinarian Online

Connect with a verified veterinarian in minutes. No waiting for appointments or office hours. No high fees. No need to worry about your furry family member.

Mothballs are considered safe when used properly; however, what happens if a dog licks a mothball?

Mothballs & Dogs

Because mothballs contain a concentrated insecticide, they can cause poisoning in dogs. This usually happens if the dog ingests one or more mothballs.

It’s possible one mothball could make a dog very sick; however, it depends on the dog’s size and weight, as well as on his overall health and age.

If your dog has licked a mothball, chances are he will be OK. However, it’s still important to monitor your fur baby for the following symptoms.

Symptoms of Mothball Poisoning in Dogs

You may notice these symptoms if your dog has licked or eaten a mothball:

If you notice these symptoms in your dog, then call the vet immediately. This could be an emergency.

The vet will work to decontaminate your dog’s system. They may try to induce vomiting, use activated charcoal, or even gastric lavage. Then they will treat any symptoms that may arise.

The prognosis is best for dogs who receive prompt treatment for mothball poisoning. For this reason, always keep mothballs away from your dog. Keep them out of reach and stored in contains to keep your fur baby from licking or eating them.

(Visited 365 times, 1 visits today)

Tom

Tom has always loved to write since he was little - he wanted to be either a writer or a veterinary doctor, but he ended up being a professional writer while most of his works are based on animals. He was born in San Francisco but later moved to Texas to continue his job as a writer. He graduated from the University of San Francisco where he studied biotechnology. He is happily married and a soon to be father!

Keep Reading

[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]