My Dog Licked a Bee What Should I Do?
Dogs are famous for being curious about almost anything in their world! This can include insects, such as bees! Why do bees seem to fascinate dogs? Well, think about it from your dog’s perspective. Bees fly pretty fast, then land on something and sit for a while. Then they get up and fly again! That’s enough to fascinate most dogs. What’s more, dogs may see bees as a challenge. A dog might try to see if he can catch the bee! But what happens if a dog licks a bee?
Has your dog licked a bee? Are you worried your dog may become sick from licking a bee? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog does something like this.
In this article, we’ll take a look at bees and whether or not they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Bees?Check Price on Amazon
Bees are flying insects that are related to wasps and ants. They’re famous for being excellent pollinators. Many of the fruits and vegetables we enjoy can only develop due to pollination. Bees are an essential part of the environment and our food chain.
Did you know that bees are found everywhere in the world, except Antarctica? There are some bees that are very large (up to 1.54 in) and some that are very small (only 0.8 in).
Bees are kept by beekeepers around the world and have been kept for their honey since ancient times.
While bees a extremely interesting, what happens if a dog licks a bee?
Bees & Dogs
The good news is that bees are not toxic to dogs. However, it is possible that a dog could be stung by a bee when licking it.
The bee could sting the dog in the face, mouth, or even on the tongue. This could be dangerous to your dog, especially if he’s allergic to bee stings.
Symptoms of Bee Stings in DogsCheck Price on Amazon
You may notice these symptoms if your dog is stung by a bee:
- Pawing/biting the affected area (in this case, it could be your dog’s face/mouth)
- Hives/red, itchy skin
- Whining and agitation
- Swelling of the face, lips, eyes
- Breathing difficulties/wheezing
- Swelling in the mouth/throat
If you notice these symptoms in your dog, he could be having an allergic reaction to the bee sting. You’ll need to call the vet right now. This could be an emergency.
The good news is that if your dog is not stung but licks a bee, he will be OK. Dogs that are stung by bees and have an allergic reaction have the best prognosis if they are treated as soon as possible.