Many of us cringe at the thought of slugs! They’re a little disconcerting with no shell, and the slime they leave is a little gross. But a dog may feel otherwise about a slug! If a dog’s curious about a slug, he may give it a sniff, lick it, or even eat the creature! But what happens if a dog licks a banana slug?
Has your dog licked a banana slug? Are you worried the banana slug will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog does something like this.
In this article, we’ll take a look at banana slugs and whether or not they can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
What are Banana Slugs?
Banana slugs are bright yellow slugs that look very similar to bananas. However, these slugs may also be white, tan, brown, or even green. There are about five different types of banana slugs in North America. Like other types of slugs, banana slugs secrete a type of slime, which may leave a trail behind the slug as it travels. The slime is a type of protective mucus that helps protect the slug.
It’s interesting to note that some animals do dine on banana slugs. These include raccoons, garter snakes, ducks, geese, and salamanders. This means the slugs are not toxic, which is good news! But can they make a dog sick?
Banana Slugs & Dogs
The good news is that banana slugs are not toxic to dogs! So, if your dog has licked a banana slug, chances are he will be just fine!
However, if a dog eats (or licks) a banana slug, it’s possible he could become infected by a parasite that slugs carry. The parasite is called a lungworm.
Lungworms are a parasite that can lead to health issues in dogs. These can include heart & lung problems and bleeding issues. If your dog has eaten a banana slug, then it’s necessary to watch for the following symptoms:
- Behavioral changes
- Breathing issues
- Coughing (may cough up blood)
- Loss of appetite
- Nose bleeds
- Red eyes
- Tiring easily
- Weight loss
The good news is that if your dog does develop lungworm from eating a banana slug, there are treatments the vet can use to kill off the parasite in your dog.
Just to recap, if your dog licks a banana slug, chances are he will be OK. However, it’s best to watch for signs of illness afterward. If your dog develops any of the symptoms above, then be sure to call the vet right away.
KimKim is a talented author, who loves animals especially dogs. She engaged in writing books and articles relating to animals a decade ago. Kim resides in Chicago with her husband and son. The family is the proud owner of a dog and a parrot (Jack and Lily). Kim wanted more than these two pets, but her husband put his foot down... She often visits elementary schools to talk to the kids about what she learned about pets and how they could learn from them.
Review symptoms, medications & behavior to keep your pets healthy with a Vet Online in just minutes.Ask a Vet Live Now